[Az-Geocaching] State Land Department Interactive Map

Brian Casteel bcasteel at uccinc.net
Mon Feb 20 16:00:03 MST 2006

On the flipside, taking the few moments to ask someone if they have a permit
could have positive results if you're LE.  We all know that there are more
than enough jerks out there who are too lazy/cheap to go to the landfill,
yet manage to drive 50 miles to the middle of nowhere in order to dump their
junk.  Catching/stopping someone to take the few moments necessary to
confirm the permit could either result in catching one or three of these
people, and the fine they incur would far exceed the cost (if any) of going
to the landfill like they should have in the first place.

Hell, if you're out there in the first place, why wouldn't you enforce the
law?  Illegal dumping certainly contributes to lands being closed to public
access, and putting bigger blinders on in order to ignore the reality that
it is, is truly disappointing.  Besides, it's simply something that should
be done, and out of respect for the lands I enjoy visiting, I happily paid
the annual permit fee.  Case in point.I watched someone practically dump
half an engine in an area I like to 4-wheel (this same area had been closed
a few years earlier due to illegal dumping, but reopened).  When he woke up
the next morning, it was back in the bed of his truck.  :-)  I could have
reported it and had it dealt with that way, but this was more fun in this
instance.  Bulldog Canyon is another one.  I went in through the south
entrance one day and picked up on some people 'cooking'.  As soon as one of
them knew what was up, one of the three cars there came screaming down the
dirt road, and I had just locked the gate, with the Ranger had just rounded
the corner.  Want to bet on whether or not the remnants of their lab would
have been packed out with them?  Granted, Bulldog Canyon isn't State Trust
Land, but the point is still made, and a permit is required for motorized
vehicle access.

Brian
Team A.I.

  _____