[Az-Geocaching] State Land Department Interactive Map

Team Tierra Buena teamtierrabuena at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 18 21:52:46 MST 2006

I just came across this. The Arizona State Land Department (which owns what
are generally referred to as the "State Trust Lands") now has an interactive
map (http://tinyurl.com/7d75v) that shows the parcels they own throughout
the state. You can zoom in on an area of interest just by dragging a square
with your mouse on the state map, and it will zoom in. Anything you see in
light blue is State Trust Land.

Since we've had some new folks here recently, let me mention why being able
to identify State Trust Land is important. It's important because if you're
on State Trust Land, even on foot, you need a permit. The permit is $15 a
year for individuals, $20 for families. The fine for being on State Trust
Land without a permit is $500. You can download the permit application from
http://tinyurl.com/8x959.

State Trust Land is not "Public Land". It was deeded to the State Land
Department by the United States Congress when Arizona became a state.
Legally it is considered private property. (See Article 10 of the Arizona
State Constitution.) However, if you play on State Trust Land with a permit
and by their rules (which are on the application page), the State Land
Department has no objection to geocaching.

Steve

Team Tierra Buena