[Az-Geocaching] FUN!

Brian Casteel bcasteel at uccinc.net
Fri Feb 10 08:50:25 MST 2006

That's very bad juju to do that.  ADOT has strict rules that govern the
Adopt-A-Highway program, requiring that volunteers stay >10' away from the
road when picking up trash (of course you can get a little closer to pile it
up), and median cleanup is expressly forbidden for obvious safety reasons.
Sport Trac/k is asking ADOT to set the hoops up for him, but I envision some
strong resistance in approval.  That's what Arpaio's chain gangs are for.
I'd really rather not read a news story about how a Geocacher was smeared
across a chunk of asphalt while at a volunteer cleanup event.

Take it for what it's worth, but with an attitude that would involve
recruiting others with the purpose of violating a policy put in place for
the safety of those who choose to volunteer their time, is tantamount to
blatantly ignoring No Trespassing signs in order to make the short trip to
get a cache, or taking an ATV into a wilderness area.  Of course you aren't
supposed to, and remember that while anyone is out there cleaning up trash,
you are representing Geocachers, as evidenced by the 2 very large signs
proclaiming this.  I originally signed up for the program not only to help
maintain a degrading section of highway, but also for the PR it brings
Geocaching, hoping that in some small way, it would have an impact on TPTB
in creating favorable policy toward Geocaching as a whole when that time
came.  I'd also hate to see one of my former colleagues (aka Highway Patrol)
pulling up and writing citations to cachers for being in the median.  For
safety sake, should it be permitted, a cruiser may very well have to block a
lane of traffic to create a buffer for anyone over there once permitted to
do so.

I would urge anyone considering circumventing the policy on safety to
seriously reconsider it given the potential ramifications.

Brian
Team A.I.

  _____