[Az-Geocaching] Garmin Rino 530 review! (long!)

Regan Smith evilfish at cox.net
Sun Dec 31 09:02:56 MST 2006

That is a long fence....

-----Original Message-----
From: az-geocaching-bounces at listserv.azgeocaching.com
[mailto:az-geocaching-bounces at listserv.azgeocaching.com] On Behalf Of Roping
The Wind
Sent: Saturday, December 30, 2006 10:28 PM
To: listserv at azgeocaching.com
Subject: [Az-Geocaching] Garmin Rino 530 review! (long!)

Well, after much thought and online research and finding answers to some of
my questions and concerns... I finally purchased 2 Garmin Rino 530's! I
ordered them from gpsnow.com and as usual, got the same great service I have

had from them in the past. As it was just before christmas and considering
the purchase was for more than $800 worth of GPS/Radio's, I went ahead and
just paid for the priority overnight/Fedex shipping for $25 (its all a write

off!). Well, the snowstorm in Denver and the midwest delayed them and they
got here 2 days later anyways! But got them on Friday before christmas.

Upon opening the boxes, I found two nice shiny new Rino 530's and all the
usual extras. There are a number of extra components to this unit with the
battery pack, chargers, USB cable, etc. As usual, Garmin put together a very

detailed and informative (and fat!) owners manual. I spent the better part
of the afternoon reading the manual and learning about all the features of
the 530's. I had read the entire manual online before ordering the units.
But now with the unit in my hand, reading the manual much more familiarized
me with the unit. Much like my 60C, the Rino is very similar, not quite as
wide and a bit taller though. Very well constructed and heavy duty. The
software is very similar and the 530 is very easy for me to navigate. There
are a couple of new pages and features that I dont have in my 60c. The radio

of course is one of them.

Alot of people say these Rino 530/520 radios are expensive, but they really
arent. The 60CSX cost just as much as one of these so you are basically
getting a GPS with a radio thrown in... and that is about what it is. More
on the radios shortly. First off, battery life is killer awsome! The Lithium

Ion battery pack was at about 80% out of the box. I charged them up to 100%
the day I got them. Since then, I have used the units a few times around the

neighborhood (getting used to the position reporting feature and trying to
get a feel for the clarity of the radios and the range). I have made a
couple of quick geocache finds with the units and I have done two balloon
flights with the units and the battery life is still reading just about
full!!! So definetly very impressed with the new battery packs and wouldnt
mind seeing these types of battery packs on the 60 series. Although they do
make the Rino's rather bulky to hold. I do, however, still find them
comfortable to grip and hold onto. I purchased 2 cases for them of course to

protect them and keep them clean. The cases are designed very nicely to
accomodate all the buttons, thumbstick, mic, speakers, as well as a velcro
opening on the back to be able to recharge the battery pack without taking
the cover/sleeve off the unit. Not sure what the drop off curve will be like

with the Lithium Ion battery packs though or how long they are suggested to
last.

GPS: The GPS is very nice and I am very impressed with it. They lock onto
satellites just as quick as my 60C. Most all the features of the GPS on the
Rino 530 is just like my 60C. However, the additional features of the 530
(that my 60c does not have, but a CS and CSX does have) is the barametric
pressure sensor and altimeter as well as the electronic compass. First, the
compass. I love it. I love having a true compass in my GPS unit. Prior, I
had to be moving to see my heading. With the electronic compass, I can stand

still and turn and see my new heading. It makes the map kind of jumpy when
in map mode when standing still. If you move the unit every so slightly, the

map really jumps around. But I realized the settings can be changed. So I
set the eletronic compass to become 'heading' when at 1mph or faster for
more than 45 seconds. If I am moving less than 1 mph (or standing still
practically) it switches back to the electronic compass. The compass is
great for ballooning as the unit also features a sighting mark on the top of

the unit and the unit can be used as a sighting compass. This is very useful

for pre flight ballooning. I no longer have to carry a compass with me. The
altimeter is of course awsome as well! I love having the 'true' altimeter
reading and not just an elevation reading. The normal elevation reading on
my 60c is not that much off of my aircrafts altimeter, but this altimeter in

the Rino 530 was dead nuts on to my altimeter in my balloon on both flights.

Also, the unit has a rate of climb/descent feature which I also found to be
extremely accurate to my vertical speed indicator on my instrument cluster
in my balloon. So I am very impressed overall with the GPS unit. Of course,
a new Garmin 60csX would also do what this Rino does (the rino does not have

a SD card to add memory like the csX but does still boast 56megs of internal

memory which is the same as my 60c, which is plenty for me).

Now to the radios: so far, not very impressed. I will not say I am
dissapointed in the radios yet, but I am so far definetly not impressed with

them. The first opportunity we had was during the rain and storm last week.
I gave a radio to a family member who stayed here at the house while I
walked around with the other unit. I walked about 1.6 miles all around my
neighborhood. We were using the GMRS at 5 watts. I never was more than maybe

.30 mile or so from the house at any time though. The clarity I thought was
plenty nice and communication was generally clear and clean. The position
reporting feature is kick ass cool! Each time either radio 'keys up', it
sends a position report to the other rino unit. This allows me to see where
my other rino is at any time by simply looking at my color map display on my

unit. As I moved around the neighborhood, the other unit at my house was
displaying my new position with each update! When I got home, I compared the

tracks on both units. The other unit had my track log right on it! There was

a slight difference in that the track log on the house unit said I walked
1.4 miles when my actual unit said I walked 1.6 miles. The track was just
about complete. But did show me cutting a few corners (which I did not, the
unit just doesnt complete my track if I dont update my position often
enough). A really cool feature to see my track on another GPS unit! The next

day was christmas day and I went for a quick geocache close by, about 2.5
miles away. These radios advertise a 12 mile range. Well, I wouldnt expect
to get that and really didnt expect ground-to-ground to get 2.5 miles
either. But figured since most radios only advertise a 2 or 4 mile range, I
figure these Rino 530's with 5 watts would perhaps have the ability to reach

from my house to this geocache 2.5 miles away. Well, the rain made it very
difficult to get the signal out very far and I lost communication at about
1/2 mile away from the house (on the other side of the freeway as well, so
not even line of sight). I kind of expected that though and that would be
expected of a 'bubble pack' type handheld FRS or GMRS radio.

The first balloon flight had me staying pretty close to my chase crew on the

ground. They were never very far away. Reception was great and communication

went fine. I did think it was a bit scratchy at times and the clarity not as

good. But didnt notice it too much that it bothered me any. No problems
communicating on this whole flight and the position reporting feature was
simply awsome. I am impressed with this feature. But I do wish it could do
more. Its nice being able to look down at my GPS map and see where my ground

chase crew is at! The same for them as they can see me (in relation to my
location on the earth) in the balloon. On the second flight, the atmosphere
was very moist. No fog, but there was a very high moisture content in the
air. So that will downgrade a radio signal a bit, I believe. My ground crew
stayed at the launch site while I flew off. I got about 3 miles away and at
about 3,500' and while we could communicate and understand each other, the
clarity sucked. There was a time when I was almost straight above my crew at

about 1,500' and the clarity again sucked. So not sure that I am very
impressed at all with the radios. I found my 15 year old Motorola VHF
handhelds to be MUCH clearer and a MUCH better range. I have talked over 30
miles line of site clear as a bell with my 1 watt VHF radios! I am still not

sure about range, but I am not confident these Rino 530's at 5 watts will do

very well at all. The first flight we were close together the whole time,
the second flight the atmosphere was very wet, so maybe I havent gotten a
true sense of what the GMRS radios are capable of yet. I do know that VHF
radios can handle these conditions MUCH better.

All in all, I am half and half on whether or not I really like these units
for my application. The GPS is awsome and very impressed with it. But I
could pay half this much and get a 60CSX and have all the features that I
like about the 530 GPS (electronic compass, altimeter, barametric pressure,
sighting compass, etc). The position reporting has a downside as well, they
DO NOT have an auto sending feature to automatically send your position. You

do have to key up to send a new position report. Almost makes this feature
worthless. Unless you keep talking (or keying up), you will not know where
the other rino unit is, only its last known position. The FCC used to not
allow data transfer thru GMRS frequencies, but Garmin somehow pulled some
strings with the FCC to get the position reporting feature into the Rino
units. However, the FCC would not allow data to be sent on a continuous
basis (which is understandable, as it would perhaps jam the frequency). So
the unit only allows a position report to be send once every 30 second and
only manually. Personally, I dont see any harm at all in just allowing the
units to auto send once every 10 minutes. I think 10 minutes is perfect
spacing for position updates. As it stands how, I think they are going to
find rino users keying up MUCH more frequently just to send an update of
their positions. I did see on the Rino users group on Yahoo that someone
made a little gadget that plugs right into the mic jack of the Rino unit
that will allow the unit to send regular updates of your position every 45
seconds or so. This would technically be illegal of course. But someone has
instructions on how to make one! It is rather cool. Someone also made a mod
to a Rino 110 to improve on the antenna to make it accept an external
antenna!

Anyways, we will continue to test the Rino for a couple more flights along
side my VHF radios to see which is truly a better radio. At this time, I am
not impressed with the radio feature of the 530's at all. But maybe we just
have not had good atmospheric conditions yet to see what they are capable
of. FRS/GMRS radios dont generally have very good range at all if conditions

are not perfect. Still, we are line of site from balloon to ground vehicle,
I would expect better of a 5 watt radio. Again, clarity generally sucked as
well. I am not sure if altitude is good for the radio range either. I had
better communication when flying low. Something else interesting to note:
The Garmin Rino 530 has a weather radio on it. There are 7 channels. I have
one of those weather radios at home here. With the home unit, I can
generally clearly pick up Phoenix and Gila County stations, and only on
occasionally pick up Tucson. I cant ever get northern AZ/Flagstaff. With the

Rino 530, I can pick up all 4 of these channels clearly... every time! The
GPS side of the unit is of course right up to what I would expect from
Garmin... a great GPS unit.

All in all, the investment for 2 of these units was over $850. For about
$450 or so, I could have a 60csx and have all the great new features of the
530 in the GPS that I now am in love with and is awsome for my application
(ballooning). As it stands now, I really like the Rino 530's in that they
are truly a 3 in 1 device. Rather than carrying a sighting compass, a radio
and a GPS in my balloon... I have all three of these devices in one and
right in my front shirt pocket and right handy when I am flying. Actually,
it is almost like a 5 in 1 unit as it has my altimeter and my vertical speed

indicator as well! With that said, I have mixed emotions about the 530's. I
really like all the great GPS features as well as the position reporting,
but simply just not impressed with the radios. We will try them out on a
couple more flights in better conditions and see what results that brings
and make a final decision on whether I stick with these GMRS radios or go
back to my old VHF radios. Communications is very important with my balloon
operations and we cant expect anything less than perfect with it. If the
radios on the Rino's simply dont meet my standards, I am definetly going to
be picking up a 60csx to have all the great added features that I now simply

must have!!! :) Then perhaps sell the Rino's and maybe seek out a higher
watt VHF radio! :) (always in search for something better!!!!)

Scott
Team Ropingthewind

Get live scores and news about your team: Add the Live.com Football Page
www.live.com/?addtemplate=football&icid=T001MSN30A0701