[Az-Geocaching] Garmin Rino 520/530

Roping The Wind arizcowboy at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 14 11:19:08 MST 2006

>From: "Ford, Denny" <>

>We use these when we are hunting and they are nice.  They come with a
>rechargeable battery that will last a full weekend of use.  We also use
>to have the Motorola radios, but the quality is very impressive of the
>530.  The color map is also a bonus.  They are not bulky and you get the
>added bonus of once you set up the unit to auto send your location it
>will update every 15 minutes or so.
>
>I am very happy with the unit, and 3 other friends have the 530, and
>makes it real nice when hunting a large area, on flat land you can talk
>at a range of 3 to 4 miles where the Motorola radios had a useful range
>of maybe a mile if you had trees or hills in the way.  If you have clear
>line of site such as a balloon, I am sure it will meet its claim.  It
>also comes with the weather radio, which is also useful.

Thanks for the review Denny! That is what I wanted to hear! You have the
530? If you are in a forest and can get 3 to 4 miles ground to ground, that
is impressive. I know for a fact my Motorola radios will not do that. They
get, as you said, MAYBE a mile. Here on the deserts, I can get a few miles
out of my Motorolas on ground to ground, generally speaking. Sometimes less,
obviously depending on the terrain and other stuff. I know when I am flying
in the pine forests, my range is much less when low to the ground.

Scott
Team Ropingthewind