[Az-Geocaching] GAMES Magazine and Geocaching

geo at brasherweb.com geo at brasherweb.com
Tue Dec 12 11:17:10 MST 2006

Hey all!

I tried to send this message to the list about a month ago and it
didn't go thru...(?)... but anyways....if anybody enjoys GAMES
Magazine (I subscribe to both GAMES and GAMES World of Puzzles), they
had a good article on Letterboxing a few months back (Nov 06 issue).

So I sent a letter to the editor thanking them for the article and
letting them know about geocaching, and my letter was printed in the
Feb 07 issue:

"CACHE THE WAVE"  (their title!)
"I'm an avid and longtime puzzle solver (and former contest winner)
who has subscribed to both GAMES and WORLD OF PUZZLES. I was thrilled
to open up the November issue and see the great article on yet another
type of "game": Letterboxing. I can sit for hours with the puzzles in
your great magazines, and I can get exercise too, as I am active in a
similar outdoor game called GEOCACHING, in which we search for the
containers, or "caches," using latitude and longitude coordinates with
GPS (global positioning satellite) receivers.
Instead of stamping, geocachers can trade trinkets, sign the logbook,
and log their finds online. Check out www.geocaching.com. Any hope of
another article in the future about geocaching and other similar
outdoor games/hobby/adventure/sport/obsessions? Keep up the great work!
Trisha Brasher
Prescott Valley, AZ."

Well....yes, the Feb 07 issue is already out, never understood that
about magazines.

For printing my article, I received a much-coveted "GAMES" T-Shirt, to
add to my "GAMES World of Puzzles" T-Shirt that I won as runner-up for
a puzzle contest some time back. First place is a $$$ prize, and back
in....um...1994? I won a $1,000 contest prize. Sweet.

Dirk noticed my letter a few weeks ago..... and no, I didn't do the
"Eyeball Benders". Did you? Wing nut, grommet....? I tend to do the
pencil puzzles more than the others.

It's not easy to condense geocaching to a short,
couple-sentences-explanantion that can be published like that. But,
years of that quick-on-the-trail explaining, or "Yes, Officer, really
I'm not a bad guy" explaining (As some of us know!!!!!) and it can be
a bit easier to get the critical info out.

If you enjoy puzzles (of all kinds) check out these two excellent
magazines. WORLD OF PUZZLES tends to stick more to "pencil-type"
puzzles (of ALL kinds), while GAMES also has visual/picture stuff, and
reviews of everything from the latest board games to computer games.
Right Dirk?

It's 36 degrees....time to cache in lower and warmer climes?

Trisha
Lightning
Prescott Valley