[Az-Geocaching] PAGING DR. SCOTTI.......

Scott Wood scott at myblueheaven.com
Fri Jun 17 16:20:47 MST 2005

At 04:09 PM 6/17/2005, you wrote:
>Right. The one I saw was traced to a landfill in Texas and estimated to be
>about basketball sized (so I was told by a guy at the ASU Meterorite Study
>Center). I saw it here in Scottsdale. It looked smaller than the moon,
>perhaps half its size in the sky. I just happened to be looking right at
>that part of the sky when it showed up.

For people in the hunting and collecting hobby it is sort of the Holy Grail
to see an impact and actually be able to recover something.  It has yet to
happen to me.  Just seeing the fireball is a thrill.  I actually got into
the hobby as a historical thing. I own specimens from many famous strikes,
including Meteor Crater in the northern part of the state.  The problem
with the iron meteorites, which are my favorite, is that they rust very easily.