[Az-Geocaching] What does your geocaching name mean and how did you come up with it

David E. Lucas lucas at sie.arizona.edu
Wed Aug 24 11:27:24 MST 2005

I'm really enjoying the stories and background about names, etc.  Fun to
read and go, oh, so that's what that stands for...

My geocaching name is AZTech.  Originally, I started caching in September of
2002 with my daughter Alexandra.  Didn't know what else to use, so we came
up with the name D&A (clever, huh?).  Only found a couple of caches before
being called away by other things.  Took up the hobby again in December 2003
when I dragged Alex and a couple of the smaller kids along on 'treasure
hunts'.  Actually managed to find a few caches and stick with it this time,
but I decided the name 'D&A' didn't fit our new group (should have been
D&A&K&Z&J or something like that), so, at the kids suggestion, we became
"Dachshund Lovers of America" (don't say it, I know).  As time went by, I
found myself caching solo more and more as the kids lost interest.  (Partly
due to the kids being 'attacked' repeatedly by cholla and other 'prickly'
things.)  As I had never really liked the name we had, I decided to change
it again (what's one more time, right?) and chose something shorter and more
appropriate, AZTech.  I'm from AZ and work/play with technology, so it fit.
And no, I won't be changing it again!

What finally hooked me on geocaching was finding some very clever micros
hidden around Tucson by Silny Jako Bek and the large number of caches hidden
by the woodcutter, and many others, that took me to some really neat places
around town.  Very good camo and unusual containers are probably my
favorites, as well as coming across new types of hides for the first time.
Having lived in AZ my whole life, it's amazing just how little of the area
I'd explored until I started caching, so I'm really enjoying that aspect of
it.

Thanks for the stories everyone; keep them coming!

David
AZTech