[Az-Geocaching] spinoff of Geocaching weather wandering into early1990's talk

Brian Casteel bcasteel at uccinc.net
Wed Aug 17 08:40:59 MST 2005

Here you go.

http://www.boyscouts-marin.org/geoscouting/cacheToEagle.htm

This isn't the original link I read about it, but this site was created by
the cacher/Scout Leader that started the project.  On a side note, at the
National Jamboree recently (the one that put the Scouts in an unfortunate
spotlight), Thales Navigation (think Magellan) donated 300 GPS units for
Geocaching-related activities during the Jamboree.  They placed caches for
the kids to find, and to learn how to use a GPS.

I've tossed around the idea of integrating Geocaching in the Black Otter
District, where I reside, and making it a nationwide type effort with
releasing TBs that have goals to travel around and visit various
packs/troops.  A leader in Litchfield Park contacted me awhile back (who I
believe is still a part of this listserv) and I kinda dropped the ball on
it.  When the school year starts for us in a few weeks, I'm going to propose
the idea at a pack meeting and see where it goes from there.  To that end, I
also want to place a Cache-to-Eagle series here as well, and have
communicated this with the originator of the concept.

I knew it was only a matter of time before GPS technology became part of Boy
Scouts, and Geocaching is far too appropriate given the outdoor nature of
scouting.  It would be great to see this take off around the country, and
may very well do so as word spreads.

Brian
Team A.I.