[Az-Geocaching] energy

Bill Nolan bill at freeholder.com
Sat Aug 13 12:25:34 MST 2005

Well, after considering whether to chime in or not, I just couldn't help
myself.  Too often, well-meaning people come up with "solutions" that are
worse than the problems.

For example, oil DOES grow on trees, in a manner of speaking.  We can grow
corn and other crops and make biodiesel fuel.  It works, but the growing of
the corn, with its attendant use of fertilizers, pesticides, and fuel for
the tractors, harvesters, etc., is more harmful to the environment than just
using petroleum to begin with.  Sure, a few people can drive around using
recycled oil from McDonalds, but that won't supply very many.

Electric cars?  Wonderful, but the electricity used to charge them does NOT
grow on trees.  It is produced using coal, petroleum, and natural gas.  In
fact, because of the various losses along the way, it takes MORE oil to
power an electric car than it does to just run the same gar with a gas
motor.

Nuclear power is an excellent option, but fear of the unknown has caused
Americans to reject it.  It is widely used in Europe - France is mostly
nuclear powered - but we can't get it past the environmentalists here.  Too
bad, as it is a much cleaner and safer option than coal or oil fired plants.

You hear a lot about hydrogen, hydrogen fuel cells, etc.  Again, it takes
electricity to get the hydrogen out of water - a little more electricity
than you get when you burn the hydrogen - so, where does the electricy come
from?  Well, here in the US, it comes from coal, oil, and natural gas.

Wind?  Very pricy, and also destructive to wildlife.  LOTS of birds get
killed by those turbines, for example.

I could go on, but you get the idea.  I'm sorry if this sounds like a
lecture, but keep in mind that I have been teaching college for 25 years or
so, and lecturing comes naturally.

Bill in Willcox

  _____