[Az-Geocaching] Shout out to Snaptek

Brian Casteel listserv@azgeocaching.com
Thu, 16 Sep 2004 17:32:33 -0600

Perhaps.  But not only would this group need access, but all the other ones
around the country/world.  It takes time/money/equipment to make that
happen, which I don't see happening anytime soon.

Take this as proof:

5. Access and Interference
Much of the information on the Site is updated on a real time basis and is
proprietary or is licensed to Groundspeak by our users or third parties. You
agree that you will not use any robot, spider, scraper or other automated
means to access the Site for any purpose without our express written
permission. Additionally, you agree that you will not: (a) take any action
that imposes, or may impose in our sole discretion an unreasonable or
disproportionately large load on our infrastructure; or (B) interfere or
attempt to interfere with the proper working of the Site or any activities
conducted on the Site or other measures we may use to prevent or restrict
access to the Site.

Also, there was a user who was just banned (temporarily) from accessing any
of the cache databases because of scraping (he called it ripping).  He has
access to the forums still, and posted a thread inquiring about it.  Jeremy
responded, along with a few other forum regulars, pointing out the portion
of the agreement I pasted above, and that was that.  Jeremy stated that it
was a temporary ban, but it is proof that they are serious about the
spidering/scraping/ripping/leeching, whatever you want to call it.

A solution would be that those who want the stats updated contribute to an
account that could get a series of 5 PQs daily to keep at least part of the
stats system operational/correct.  Otherwise, the IP azgc.com runs on, may
very well be permanently banned if updates continue.

Brian
Team A.I.