[Az-Geocaching] NASA in mourning

Brian Casteel listserv@azgeocaching.com
Wed, 8 Sep 2004 14:09:20 -0600

Those rocket scientists....turn off the motor and they lose it.  :)

Brian
Team A.I.

----- Original Message -----
From: <trisha@brasher.com>
To: "Arizona Geocaching" <listserv@azgeocaching.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2004 1:19 PM
Subject: [Az-Geocaching] NASA in mourning

> This is a bit off topic (unless they use GPS technology?) but we probably
lost the data from the Genesis project (geez, I sound like a Star Trek
Movie!) this morning.

> The project, collecting atoms and data from the sun for the past 4 years
(at a cost of, um, 260 mill) was supposed to re-enter and land with the help
of parachutes, and they were even worried about a chute-controlled
landing....they had stunt chopper pilots ready to snag the chute to give it
an even softer landing.

> Instead, the chutes failed to open and the refrigerator-sized capsule
crashed to earth in Utah, creating a big crator. All that technology and the
CHUTE fails??