[Az-Geocaching] Coolest Virt I have ever done!

TEAM 360 listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 8 Oct 2004 06:12:59 -0700 (PDT)

--0-1378635994-1097241179=:40267

Cinder Lake history
by Team Scotti
N 35° 19.278 W 111° 31.154
In Arizona, United States
Use waypoint: GCG7GW
Unique history and great views of nearby volcanoes and cinder cones greet the visitor to this site.
Cinder Lake is abused these days by off road vehicles, but the government used this site for much different reasons in the 1960s and early 1970s. The cache site requires about a kilometer drive or hike over loose cinders, so I rated the terrain a little higher than one might expect for nearly flat and open terrain. I would not take a passenger car across this surface and I would recommend a 4x4 if you choose to drive.
To log this cache, upload a photo of you with your GPS clearly visible along with the most prominant terrain feature at the waypoint. See the sample picture of me for an idea of an acceptible photo. E-mail me at jscotti@lpl.arizona.edu with your best guess for what this site was used for and I'll send you a URL for a webpage that will describe the area and its history.
Additional Hints (No hints available)
Logged Visits (12 total. Visit the Gallery)
October 7 by TEAM 360 (0 found)
Wow, this was one of the most enjoyable Virtual Caches I have ever done, and let me tell you why:
I found this cache with the Inventor of Geocaching, Dave Ulmer!
Dave had contacted me to let me know he would be in the Flagstaff area (he sold his house and lives everywhere around the west coast, in his RV), so I let him know I would stop in and say hi. Well, we sat in the Ulmer RV and after some chat about both our travel adventures and discussing the book he was writing (VERY interesting, I will be looking to buy a copy!), he told me about this Virtual and then, with a grin on his face, asked if I wanted to ride out and go see it. Are you kidding? How many chances does someone get to go Geocaching with the guy who invented it? OF COURSE I jumped on the back of his 400cc bike and off we went, speeding down gravel roads and through the woods to this unique spot. It was a bit bumpy and I even came up off the seat a time or two, but Dave handled the bike like a pro and we arrived in one piece without wiping out!
This is a very cool place with great views, and there was not a soul around today. Dave took a panoramic shot with his camera and I snapped a pic of the Ulmer-bike at this cache site for the find.
Like I said, one of the MOST enjoyable Virts I have EVER done. Thanks for the cache!

--0-1378635994-1097241179=:40267

<DIV>Cinder Lake history<BR>by Team Scotti <BR>N 35° 19.278 W 111° 31.154<BR>In Arizona, United States <BR>Use waypoint: GCG7GW </DIV>
<DIV>Unique history and great views of nearby volcanoes and cinder cones greet the visitor to this site.</DIV>
<DIV>Cinder Lake is abused these days by off road vehicles, but the government used this site for much different reasons in the 1960s and early 1970s. The cache site requires about a kilometer drive or hike over loose cinders, so I rated the terrain a little higher than one might expect for nearly flat and open terrain. I would not take a passenger car across this surface and I would recommend a 4x4 if you choose to drive.<BR>To log this cache, upload a photo of you with your GPS clearly visible along with the most prominant terrain feature at the waypoint. See the sample picture of me for an idea of an acceptible photo. E-mail me at <A href="mailto:jscotti@lpl.arizona.edu">jscotti@lpl.arizona.edu</A> with your best guess for what this site was used for and I'll send you a URL for a webpage that will describe the area and its history.</DIV>
<DIV>Additional Hints (No hints available)&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>Logged Visits (12 total. Visit the Gallery)</DIV>
<DIV>October 7 by TEAM 360 (0 found)<BR>Wow, this was one of the most enjoyable Virtual Caches I have ever done, and let me tell you why:<BR>I found this cache with the Inventor of Geocaching, Dave Ulmer!<BR>Dave had contacted me to let me know he would be in the Flagstaff area (he sold his house and lives everywhere around the west coast, in his RV), so I let him know I would stop in and say hi. Well, we sat in the Ulmer RV and after some chat about both our travel adventures and discussing the book he was writing (VERY interesting, I will be looking to buy a copy!), he told me about this Virtual and then, with a grin on his face, asked if I wanted to ride out and go see it. Are you kidding? How many chances does someone get to go Geocaching with the guy who invented it? OF COURSE I jumped on the back of his 400cc bike and off we went, speeding down gravel roads and through the woods to this unique spot. It was a bit bumpy and I even came up off the seat a time or two, but Dave
 handled the bike like a pro and we arrived in one piece without wiping out! <BR>This is a very cool place with great views, and there was not a soul around today. Dave took a panoramic shot with his camera and I snapped a pic of the Ulmer-bike at this cache site for the find.<BR>Like I said, one of the MOST enjoyable Virts I have EVER done. Thanks for the cache!<BR>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV><p>
		<hr size=1>Do you Yahoo!?<br><a
href="http://vote.yahoo.com">vote.yahoo.com</a> - Register online to vote today!
--0-1378635994-1097241179=:40267--