[Az-Geocaching] Re: GPS store

cordh at mchsi.com cordh at mchsi.com
Sun Nov 14 15:39:07 MST 2004

On Sunday 14 November 2004 00:57, Scott Sparks wrote:
> Thanks to everyone who responded to my query on local GPS stores,
> although it seems a few of you didn't read the question very closely.
> My old GPS died on Friday and I have plans to go caching Monday.
> On-line or mail order was not an option in such a short period of time.
> I went to many local stores and here is what I found in case anyone
> needs to know in the future.  Keep in mind that I live in the far east
> valley and so wasn't able to make it to anyplace like Bronco One
> (although it appears that they are no longer in business.)
>
> K-mart  (1 store checked)- No GPS's at all, that I could find, either in
> Electronics or Sporting goods
> Sports Authority (2 stores checked) - Only a couple bare bones models
> available, very high priced
> Target (1 store checked) - only a couple of bare bones models, 20-30
> dollars higher than Wal-Mart
> Best Buy (2 stores checked) - a small selection of both Garmin and
> Magellan, but not the best price.
> Wide World of Maps - (1 store checked) complete line of Garmin handhelp
> GPS's, but prices were high, no Magellan product at all
> Wal-Mart (4 stores checked) - a limited but mixed selection of low,
> median and high-end models, lowest prices overall
>
> I was specifically looking for one of the following models: Garmin eTrex
> Vista, Magellan Meridian Gold, Magellan Meridian Platinum
>
> The only place that had the Vista was Wide World of Maps.  Nobody had
> the Meridian Platinum.  I finally settled on the Meridian Gold from
> Wal-Mart but I had to go to four different stores to find one that
> wasn't a man-handled display model.  I've only had it a day and already
> I see some exciting things about it and some other things that are just
> plain idiotic.  I'll try it for a few weeks and, if I decide I don't
> like it, Wal-Mart will take it back and I'll try something else.  I'll
> try to remember to post my final decision. Oh, and BTW, Wal-Mart had a
> better price than Amazon by a few cents.  I didn't mind paying the sales
> tax for instant gratification.  ;-) Under other circumstances, I would
> have ordered something from on-line but, as I mentioned, I needed it
> right away.
>
> -- Sprocket

Had to return the Magellan Gold I had bought at the Walmart in AJ.  The
antenna seemed to have an intermittent connection causing all kind of
problems with stability.  I kinda liked the display and organization of it
but Walmart didn't have another.  The one I bought had been returned before I
bought it.  Anyway returned it and traded up for another Sportack Pro.  My
shopping experiences closely parallels yours.

Cord