[Az-Geocaching] Test

Brian Cluff brian at Snaptek.com
Wed Nov 10 19:21:40 MST 2004

On 11/10/04 19:10, Steven Stringham wrote:
> And thank you again for all the effort you put in on our behalf. We
> do appreciate it.

No problem.... thanks

> So, give us an idea on what was and what is for the servers. (OS
> versions, CPU, Disks, Memory...) It's a geeky question, but, with an
> 8 year old server, I am curious what it was.

The old server was a Pentium 166 desktop machine with 32 megs of ram,
running Redhat
Linux 5.1 with an 4 gig ide drive.

The new server is a Pentium II 533 (Processor speed really doesn't
matter all the much for what the machine is doing) 1U rack mount server.
It's got a half gig of ram and an 18gig ultra wide SCSI drive. It's
running Debian (Sarge) Linux.
The main things that are improving speed is the vastly increased amounts
of RAM and the hard drive... SCSI is so much nicer to work with when it
comes to email servers than IDE, too bad they charge an arm and a leg
for it.  And lastly, I switched to different email server software, and
upgraded the mailing list.   We will now be able to get upgrades all the
time.  That old version of redhat was such a huge pain to upgrade that I
stopped bothering to unless it was a security problem... which didn't
happen very often at all.

Anyway, Enjoy.

Brian Cluff
Team Snaptek