[Az-Geocaching] Another cacher finds body near Las Vegas

Trisha listserv@azgeocaching.com
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 15:33:58 -0700 (MST)

I quickly scanned the other emails and see that some questions were
asked...I will have some more time this weekend, I hope, and will
offer a more detailed (and intelligent) answer to Jake's question(s)
in a few days....
Trisha

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 17:27:31 -0700, "Brian - Team A.I." wrote:

MCSO has a more direct need to know, and it seems clear
that they were trained in GPS technology.  I'm actually glad they do
understand it.  Some of the field units (deputies, not SAR) are
starting to get their own units for collision investigation purposes.
Local PDs don't have such a need, as street addresses work perfectly
well for
them.  DPS should use them, but currently doesn't.  However, in the
new CAD system we're getting next month, GPS info is used, but we're
still not
being trained on it.  Go figure.  Usually, if it isn't asphalt, it
isn't ours.  :/  When sending our Ranger helicopters out on LE or SAR
missions, they ask for coordinates.  If the local PD can't provide
them
(usually the case), I find it for them to make the job easier for my
guys.
But as I said before, most of the people in the center don't
understand the
technology, and give me the "get a life" speech when I tell them about
what I do
on my days off (I'm in better shape than most of them, so go figure).
I think more than anything, they're afraid of learning it
because it sounds complicated.  I should suggest to my supervisor
about
teaching a class on GPS technology and how to find where the
coordinates
point.

Brian
Team A.I.