[Az-Geocaching] What are hazards of using GPS on airline?

Andrew Ayre listserv@azgeocaching.com
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 07:56:21 -0700

There was an article in Wired recently about interference. Apparently most
reported problems are caused by laptops. However interference with flight
electronics has never been able to be reproduced in the lab. Because of the
recent proliferation of handheld electronics (PDAs, PDAs with cell phones,
bluetooth, etc.) the FAA is doing some big study on what the real likelyhood
of interference is, and apparently will produce a report this summer.

Andy

-----Original Message-----
From: az-geocaching-admin@listserv.azgeocaching.com
[mailto:az-geocaching-admin@listserv.azgeocaching.com]On Behalf Of Ken
Akerman
Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 11:30 PM
To: listserv@azgeocaching.com
Subject: [Az-Geocaching] What are hazards of using GPS on airline?

This is a good resource for the various airlines.

http://gpsinformation.net/airgps/airgps.htm

Why do some airlines allow GPS during cruise, but other airlines do not
allow GPS use during a
flight?

What could the hazards to the aircraft of using a GPS during flight?

Ken (a.k.a. Highpointer)

Note:  The only airlines that I have flown on since I acquired my GPS are
Delta and Southwest.  I
avoid America "Wurst" (I would like to see Delta acquire AWA, since my
brother works for Delta and
a Delta hub in Phoenix would make it a lot easier for me to fly to the
northeastern USA using the
Delta Buddy Pass that I can get from him).