[Az-Geocaching] unlock code

TEAM 360 listserv@azgeocaching.com
Thu, 22 Jul 2004 12:43:21 -0700 (PDT)

--0-1186225607-1090525401=:92432

Yep, Dell is no help on this one...I will have to try and contact Microsoft on this one, if I can't find the code online somewhere, and that will only work if they are not machine-specific...I am not sure if the code would be the same for every Word 2002 or not...I DID save all my manuals and user guides, I have been thru them all but of course, there is no product unlock code...what a nightmare this is...Dell actually told me to go out and buy Word again, so I would have a new disc with the code to activate it...LOL...what a joke!

Yeah, Microsoft's asking for the 25-alphanumeric product key. You probably got Word 2002 as part of a package of either Works Suite 2002 or Microsoft Office XP. Where the product ID is depends on how Dell packaged it. It may be on a plastic CD sleeve, the front cover of a manual, or in certain cases on a sticker attached to the machine, though this is usually the Windows Product ID number, which is NOT the same as the product ID number for Word.

Good luck getting help from Dell... the most they will likely do is tell you where the product ID should have been when it was shipped to you. To my knowledge, they don't have records of Microsoft's Product ID codes when packaged with a system, and you're highly unlikely to get a code number over the phone from Dell, since giving you a product number that wasn't the same as the one you were issued constitutes a violation of the licensing agreement. They'll probably refer you to Microsoft if you've lost the product number.

The way I usually avoid this problem myself is to write the product ID number directly on the CD itself with a Sharpie.