[Az-Geocaching] Unlock code?

David Thompsen listserv@azgeocaching.com
Thu, 22 Jul 2004 11:04:56 -0700 (PDT)

--0-1582138884-1090519496=:77870

Yeah, Microsoft's asking for the 25-alphanumeric product key.  You probably got Word 2002 as part of a package of either Works Suite 2002 or Microsoft Office XP.  Where the product ID is depends on how Dell packaged it.  It may be on a plastic CD sleeve, the front cover of a manual, or in certain cases on a sticker attached to the machine, though this is usually the Windows Product ID number, which is NOT the same as the product ID number for Word.

Good luck getting help from Dell... the most they will likely do is tell you where the product ID should have been when it was shipped to you.  To my knowledge, they don't have records of Microsoft's Product ID codes when packaged with a system, and you're highly unlikely to get a code number over the phone from Dell, since giving you a product number that wasn't the same as the one you were issued constitutes a violation of the licensing agreement.  They'll probably refer you to Microsoft if you've lost the product number.

The way I usually avoid this problem myself is to write the product ID number directly on the CD itself with a Sharpie.

I know this may be off topic, but I recently had to re install Word 2002 an now it is asking for an "unlock" code, which I don't have...anyone know what to do, or have this number? Dell says the number should be on the back of the cd case, but all my cds came in paper cases, in a Suites package...no stickers, no codes....

--0-1582138884-1090519496=:77870

<DIV>Yeah, Microsoft's asking for the 25-alphanumeric product key.&nbsp; You probably got Word 2002 as part of a package of either Works Suite 2002 or Microsoft Office XP.&nbsp; Where the product ID is depends on how Dell packaged it.&nbsp; It may be on a plastic CD sleeve, the front cover of a manual, or in certain cases on a sticker attached to the machine, though this is usually the Windows Product ID number, which is NOT the same as the product ID number for Word.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Good luck getting help from Dell... the most they will likely do is tell you where the product ID should have been when it was shipped to you.&nbsp; To my knowledge, they don't have records of Microsoft's Product ID codes when packaged with a system, and you're highly unlikely to get a code number over the phone from Dell, since giving you a product number that wasn't the same as the one you were issued constitutes&nbsp;a violation&nbsp;of the licensing agreement.&nbsp; They'll probably refer you to Microsoft if you've lost the product number.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The way I usually avoid this problem myself is to write the product ID number directly on the CD itself with a Sharpie.<BR><BR></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">
<BLOCKQUOTE>
<DIV class=OutlookMessageHeader dir=ltr align=left><FONT face=Tahoma size=2><BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>I know this may be off topic, but I recently had to re install Word 2002 an now it is asking for an "unlock" code, which I don't have...anyone know what to do, or have this number? Dell says the number should be on the back of the cd case, but all my cds came in paper cases, in a Suites package...no stickers, no codes....</DIV>
<P>
<HR SIZE=1>
Do you Yahoo!?<BR>Yahoo! Mail is new and improved - <A href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/new/*http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail">Check it out!</A></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE><p>
		<hr size=1>Do you Yahoo!?<br>