[Az-Geocaching] worst mishap?

RopingThe Wind listserv@azgeocaching.com
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 10:15:14 -0700

>From: Gale <sonoralovesmommy@yahoo.com>
>To: list <listserv@azgeocaching.com>
>Subject: [Az-Geocaching] worst mishap?
>Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 06:42:10 -0700 (PDT)
>
>Perhaps the next question should be:
>
>What is the worst injury you or a member of your team has experienced when
>caching? What was the most expensive mishap you sustained while caching?
>
>Or should I not ask?
>

>Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking

I cant say I have ever been injured while hiking or geocaching (so far,
knock on wood!!!). I am a mountain goat, so I take to rough terrain pretty
good (at least I have been called a mountain goat by some cachers!). :)  I
have had a few nice sized cholla planted into me. But, that is just part of
Arizona desert hiking! Bound to happen eventually!

Most expensive? There are two cache trips I took that sustained minor damage
to my truck. Fortunately, I own a 1974 truck, so repairs are usually pretty
cheap and I can do it myself. But, as far as that goes... One time I took my
truck thru Bulldog canyon for some caches (the truck is a 2x4, but fairly
beefy). Evilfish was with me. I was making it just fine (heading south thru
the canyon) and even made it up this one steep little hillclimb after about
4 or 5 attempts at it! But, there was a very loose rocky uphill section that
I really had to work at. I ended up busting a rear shock and did some light
front end damage. But, was able to drive out no problem (once I moved some
rocks around and got the truck back down the hill). Then, most recently...
my front end broke going up to Thumb Butte cache. Nothing major, but enough
that I wasnt driving it out of there! :)  I will not go into much detail as
this story was on this list a short while back. But, I was able to hike a
mile or two into town to make a phone call and Brian (Team AI) was kind
enough to come up and get me and we drove out to find the part I needed. It
turned out I had the part in my truck behind my seat! (I always carry lots
of small spare stuff back there, never know when you will need it). It wasnt
the right part. But, ended up making it work. I was then back on the road
again after doing some greasy suspension work out there in the desert! The
only cost was paying Brian for gas and some munchies. :) and I had to buy
another floor jack at the local hardware store as I needed two of them to
position the truck properly (it was on a fairy steep slope and on loose
rock). Otherwise, that part can be found on the 'help' section of most any
auto parts store for a few bucks. The nice thing about old trucks is that
the parts are cheap and you can usually find them at any local little auto
parts store. New cars, you have to have them towed to the closest dealership
and wait days for the work to get done! But, opinions aside.. that was
probably the most 'expensive' geocache I have ever done! Of course, every
geocache is expensive with the cost of gas these days!

Scott
Team Ropingthewind

Overwhelmed by debt? Find out how to ‘Dig Yourself Out of Debt’ from MSN
Money. http://special.msn.com/money/0407debt.armx