[Az-Geocaching] Caches Lost in the Fires???

RopingThe Wind listserv@azgeocaching.com
Thu, 08 Jul 2004 08:00:39 -0700

>From: "Regan Smith" <evilfish@cox.net>
>To: <listserv@azgeocaching.com>
>Subject: [Az-Geocaching] Caches Lost in the Fires???
>Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 19:47:45 -0700
>
>I was wondering is there a count of caches that have been or are in real
>danger of being burnt?

I was kinda wondering the same thing. I would have to say that Frieza's 2
caches in from the Barnhardt Trail are probably toast (or close to it!). I
really wanted to get those two as they looked like a nice day hike for both
of them. There is another cache just north of those (or SW of  Payson)....
that appears to be in the areas of the fires as well. Also, there are
numerous caches on top of Mnt Graham. I have no idea where those caches are
though in relation to the fires. But, I do know Frieza's 2 caches are right
in the area of the fires in the Mazatzal range. I have been thru Payson
several times recently since the day the fires up there started and have
seen them progress over the past couple of weeks. There are also 2 or 3
caches in from the Deer Creek Trailhead that I had already found about a
year ago. One of which is pretty far in from the trailhead. I would say at
least 2 of those are possibly toast. The other one is right near the road
going into the trailhead and close to the Hwy 87. It may be spared. But, I
dont know where the fire is burning now as they keep closing the hwy and I
havent gone thru there in several days now.

The good thing is that this fire has burned in mostly wilderness/rugged
areas and I dont think any structures have been lost to this point. The fire
on top of Mnt Graham did destroy an area of radio towers. But, the
observatory is so far not been effected.

I heard there was another fire along State route 260 east of Payson. But, I
havent heard anything about that one yet. There is also another fire SW of
Flagstaff. I did a bunch of caches in the Flagstaff area back in May and I
dont think there are really any caches in the very vicinity of that fire.
There are some caches east of Lake Mary Rd. But, I think those fires are
burning well east of that area.

Scott
Team Ropingthewind

Get tips for maintaining your PC, notebook accessories and reviews in
Technology 101. http://special.msn.com/tech/technology101.armx