[Az-Geocaching] Magellan Gold

SquishyGecko listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sat, 03 Jul 2004 12:18:39 -0700

Bob -

Oh no!  Please tell me that the GPSr at least worked for a short time!

Here's what I could find that might help.  There is more information at
http://www.mtgc.org/robertlipe/MeridianFAQ/#23.How%20do%20I%20actually%20use%20my%20Magellan%20GPS?|outline

Good luck!

Below are the recovery instructions for a dead MAP330 or Meridian. They
are written for the MAP330 but they work just as well for the Meridians.

     *

       If your MAP330/Meridian is in a "locked up" state (stuck on),
power it down by holding down MARK/GOTO and the ESC keys and press
ENTER. This will power down the unit.
     *

       Power it up in "Software upload mode" by holding down MARK/GOTO
and the ESC keys and press POWER. Unit should power up with a "software
upload mode active" message.
     *

       Run magup.exe, select NO at the dialog box. Click on "Expert" and
checkmark "On" for the "Expert Upload" setting (Be sure set the "Unit
Type". Use Meridian GPS for the green/yellow or Meridian for the others.
With the latest MagUp there is also a Meridian Marine and Meridian Color
option) and click "OK"
     *

       Select the firmware file by clicking on "File" then "Select Code
File". The firmware file should have a name like MGPS402.HEX or
MGOLD406.HEX.
     *

       Click on "Upload" and click "OK". Checkmark "Program Code Only".
Check "Upload File".

You may be able to recover your unit back without sending it in. Make
sure you put fresh batteries in before trying the above.

If the above fails, try inserting step 1b between steps 1 and 2 as follows:

     *

       Erase the base map by Press NAV and GOTO simultaneously while
switching on the Meridian. A small rectangle appears, put in the number
95 (using the cursor keys) and press ENTER. Select Yes and press ENTER.
This will delete the basemap! The unit will also switch off automatically.