[Az-Geocaching] GC.com

Art listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 2 Jul 2004 15:43:19 -0700 (MST)

> Routers:  Routers are basically traffic lights on steroids.  They pump
> data to the right highway to make sure it gets where it's supposed to go.
> For more on what I was referring to about the Fairbanks, AK router, check
> http://www.internettrafficreport.com/namerica.htm.  Basically, the routers
> you see listed are the mother of all routers and are collectively
> responsible for the entire N American continent.  I'm guessing the people
> in Alaska are pretty pissed right about now.

Actually that site is a pretty big load of crap.  I know for a fact that
the Phoenix router "gw-phx010.adpak.com" isn't a major hub for pretty much
anyone.  The idea behind the site is that anyone can add their router to
the system and it will check it.  Its a pretty cool concept, but it is
hindered by the limited set of "satellite" systems to test from.  Hence
North America having such a high "Index Trend".  Most if not all the
testing is probably done via North America, so the other continents are
hindered by trans-atlantic links and distance.  Its still fun to look at
though.

-Art-