[Az-Geocaching] GC.com

Robert & Linda Smith listserv@azgeocaching.com
Thu, 01 Jul 2004 21:48:48 -0700

--------------080701020601070609030003

Trisha,

He does that just to make us feel uneducated I think.  I know just
enough about this computer to understand a little of what Brian said,
But Not All Of It!!

By the way, I just picked up 2 cases of soda for the event cache on July
10th.  I've been watching and it looks like we will have a nice turn out.

Maybe Brian can help me through some more computernees.

Bob Smith, Team Petite Elite

Trisha wrote:

>Brian....In English, please??  :-)
>Trisha
>

>On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 08:31:30 -0700, "Brian - Team A.I." wrote:
>

>>Looks like a HARD outage in the area or something.  The only major
>>router in
>>the country that is down is in Fairbanks, AK, but I've never
>>tracerouted my
>>path to the gc.com servers, so I don't know if the data passes
>>

>through
>

>>there
>>or what.
>>
>>The more research I do, it looks as though there is a major
>>

>disruption
>

>>going
>>on all over the internet.  My guess is a new worm, but I could be
>>wrong.  I
>>can't even get ping returns from the primary nameservers that gc.com
>>uses.
>>Overall response to my 'net experience' is slower than crap.  Going
>>back to
>>the worm concept, it IS July 1st, which could be a trigger for it, or
>>it
>>could be related to the anticipated handover of Iraq (which occurred
>>early,
>>maybe too soon to send out a patch to the infected machines).  To
>>

>some
>

>>these
>>might be conspiracy theory moments, but payload triggers for past
>>worms have
>>been major events.  It's almost as if the DNS records related to
>>gc.com have
>>been somehow poisoned, as it doesn't even resolve to an IP address
>>anymore.
>>
>>Meh.  I'll let that go for now.
>>
>>Oddly enough, a block of 25 IP addresses isn't even responding to my
>>network
>>scan, the same range that gc.com has several IP addresses for various
>>servers.  My guess is a router is sitting in a closet somewhere in
>>

>the
>

>>groundspeak offices smoking, waiting for the gurus to open the office
>>for
>>the day and inhale the stench of burnt electronics.
>>
>>Brian
>>Team A.I.

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Trisha,<br>
He does that just to make us feel uneducated I think.&nbsp; I know just
enough about this computer to understand a little of what Brian said,
But Not All Of It!!<br>
By the way, I just picked up 2 cases of soda for the event cache on
July 10th.&nbsp; I've been watching and it looks like we will have a nice
turn out.&nbsp; <br>
Maybe Brian can help me through some more computernees.<br>
Bob Smith, Team Petite Elite<br>
Trisha wrote:<br>
 cite="mid20040701210516.3353.h005.c000.wm@mail.brasher.com.criticalpath.net">
  <pre wrap="">Brian....In English, please??  :-)
Trisha

    <pre wrap="">Looks like a HARD outage in the area or something.  The only major
router in
the country that is down is in Fairbanks, AK, but I've never
tracerouted my
path to the gc.com servers, so I don't know if the data passes
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->through
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">there
or what.

The more research I do, it looks as though there is a major
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->disruption
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">going
on all over the internet.  My guess is a new worm, but I could be
wrong.  I
can't even get ping returns from the primary nameservers that gc.com
uses.
Overall response to my 'net experience' is slower than crap.  Going
back to
the worm concept, it IS July 1st, which could be a trigger for it, or
it
could be related to the anticipated handover of Iraq (which occurred
early,
maybe too soon to send out a patch to the infected machines).  To
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->some
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">these
might be conspiracy theory moments, but payload triggers for past
worms have
been major events.  It's almost as if the DNS records related to
gc.com have
been somehow poisoned, as it doesn't even resolve to an IP address
anymore.

Meh.  I'll let that go for now.

Oddly enough, a block of 25 IP addresses isn't even responding to my
network
scan, the same range that gc.com has several IP addresses for various
servers.  My guess is a router is sitting in a closet somewhere in
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->the
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">groundspeak offices smoking, waiting for the gurus to open the office