[Az-Geocaching] Used Garmin Extrex Legend/Vista?

RopingThe Wind listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 16 Jan 2004 11:57:58 -0800

Ok. So this bites!

Garmin charges $99 flat fee for a total overhaul of my unit (according to
their website). Is is well out of warranty, so no free repair work here.
This price includes second day air (oh boy!) to get it back quickly. I hear
they have a really quick turnaround rate. But, for $99, I would be better
off running out to Popular and picking up a brand new one for $199 and not
be without it for 10 days. I would really like a Vista and I can get that on
Ebay for the price of the Legend in local stores. But, again.. that means
being without it for a while.

Does anyone who uses the Garmin Legend or Vista have any suggestions for
possible fixes? The unit simply does not turn on. Is it easy to open up and
attempt to fix it (cant go wrong! It already dont work!). I dont see any
screws to open it up. Is it glued together or are the top and bottm clipped
in there somehow? Anyone ever taken one apart? :) Maybe it is a simply
sautering job.

Thanks!

Scott
Team Ropingthewind