[Az-Geocaching] Caching in Tucson Last Night

RAND HARDIN listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 9 Jan 2004 23:28:03 -0700

------=_NextPart_001_0001_01C3D708.3A972500

Steven,

"Penguins In Sonora" must have been quite a rush for you!  I'm sure the i=
ssue with the guy on the bike wasn't about you snapping a photo of him ..=
 it was about whether he could intimidate you into giving up your camera=
 and running off.  =20

I don't think I would have been as nice as you were to him.  Criminals li=
ke him feed on intimidation and the weakness of their victims.  You stood=
 your ground and that was enough to dissuade him.  Evidently he wasn't lo=
oking for a confrontation - if he were he would have attacked you.

I had a similar adrenaline rush at The Lost Dutchmans Gold! cache (GCA256=
).  It was the first of two trips to the location.  It was too dark to ge=
t the information I needed, so from a distance I snapped some photos of t=
he tombstone in hopes of getting the necessary information for the cache.=
   After I snapped some photos I turned around and saw two transients abo=
ut thirty feet away (they just seemed to appear out of nowhere!).  It was=
 an eerie situation.  There was nobody else around; it was dark out; I wa=
s next to the graveyard and there was a train unhooking cars about 100 fe=
et away.  One of the guys tapped the shoulder of his buddy and pointed to=
ward me.  They then started walking my direction.  As soon as I saw them =
coming toward me I realized I could be in trouble.  I dropped one of my c=
rutches and reached behind me, unsnapped my holster and released the safe=
ty on my gun.  I didn't pull the gun, but the action I'm sure was enough =
to dissuade these guys from any criminal activity they may have been pond=
ering.  They stopped short several feet away from me and asked me what I =
was doing.  I explained that I was there to take a photo of Jacob's tombs=
tone.  They then turned around and walked off.  They never saw the gun, b=
ut my action was evident that I wasn't going to be an easy prey.

You asked: "with nighttime caching, do I need to reconsider where and how=
 I cache?"  I think you are the only one who can answer that!  How uncomf=
ortable did the experience make you feel?  Do you have enough confidence =
in yourself to handle someone who may want to get physical?  Evidently yo=
u stood your ground against someone who tried to intimidate you; but are =
you willing to take a chance against someone who may pull a weapon?  You =
have a family to consider!  If you do decide to do nighttime caching alon=
e, you may want to consider carrying a gun for protection.

The individual you encountered may have a history of robbing people in th=
e area.  I would have notified the police of the situation.

I do want to congratulate you on standing your ground.  You did good!  =20

Take care,

Rand (RandMan)            =20