[Az-Geocaching] Stat problems

Brian Cluff listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 27 Feb 2004 15:23:32 -0700

evilfish wrote:
> would that be a Linux /Windoh's issue??
>>Never mind... I got it... we're back in business as usual... I had
>>forgotten to url encode a string... DOH!!!!

URL' s are "addresses" that everyone goes to such as www.google.com.
You can only use certain characters in an URL... for example spaces are
an illegal character, you will never find a valid URL with a space in
it.  In place of the space, or any other illegal character, you need to
put it's ascii number in hex preceded by a %.  That's what is known as
urlencoding.  So I was trying to send a big nastly long chuck of random
looking characters, and there was a small handful of characters that
wouldn't get sent right.

...you asked for it :)

Brian Cluff
Team Snaptek

PS, if any of you have ever been infected by spyware you might have
noticed that your browsers default page suddenly goes to a really weird
looking address that looks something like %23%65%ab%67....etc.etc.  That
is just urlencoding taken to an extreme, where every single character is
encoded and not just the characters that won't get sent correctly.