[Az-Geocaching] Stat problems

Brian Cluff listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 27 Feb 2004 02:28:33 -0700

The stats appear to be back to normal...  get'em while they last...
It's becoming increasingly difficult to keep up with the changes that
are put in place on Geocaching.com.  Especially since most of the
changes are put in to directly stop people from doing exactly what we
are doing.  I don't think they are out to stop us.... it's just they
have a lot more abusers of their system than they have people who's
crawling does them any good.

The next time around, it might be more difficult that it's worth.  It
will never be impossible... they have to make the web pages available to
people using a normal browser, and therefore it's possible to get them
other ways, but it might become so much of a hassle that it's not worth
it anymore.  For instance, I just put in a solid 12 hours just to get
the archived caches back into the system, and I still haven't figured
out how to make it automated again, so they will quickly become out dated.

If anyone wants a difficult problem to try and solve...
via a script, login to Geocaching.com site and pull an archived cache
page.  If anyone can figure out how to do it.... well, I don't have
anything to offer you, but you will at least get a standing ovation :)
Scripting a graphical browser, or Microsoft centric scripts don't count.
  I'm not looking to club the problem to death by scripting an entire
browser, and the server doesn't even have a graphical display, so it's
out of the question anyway.

Brian Cluff
Team Snaptek