[Az-Geocaching] Multiple mapsets on Garmin GPS units

Brian - Team A.I. listserv@azgeocaching.com
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 16:58:26 -0700

Well, you should have chimed up when everyone was asking about it not too
long ago.  :)

Brian
Team A.I.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jason Poulter" <polt@snaptek.com>
To: <listserv@azgeocaching.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 4:08 PM
Subject: Re: [Az-Geocaching] Multiple mapsets on Garmin GPS units

> heck i have been doing that for years...
>
> jason
>

> Brian Casteel wrote:
>
> >This is mainly for Highpointer, but anyone else interested in how to
download multiple mapsets will be interested.  A few weeks ago, there were
some posts about the viability of downloading more than one mapset for
simultaneous usage/storage on Garmin units.  To my knowledge, and scouring
instruction manuals, it wasn't possible.  But through some trial/error, I
figured it out.

> >If you have multiple MapSource titles installed, you know that in the
pull-down menu just to the left of the Zoom In/Out buttons, you can
alternate between them.  Therein lies how to do it.  Keep in mind that each
unit has limited memory, you'll need to be aware of your available storage
as you pick maps.  Watching on the Maps tab is a good idea as it tallies
your chosen map blocks and their respective sizes.

> >Step 1.  Pick the first title you wish to download map info from.  Select
each of those tiles using the Map Tool.
> >Step 2.  Pick the second title you wish to download map info from.
Select each of those tiles using the Map Tool.  You'll notice the names vary
and in the Area column, the title chosen from is identified.
> >Step 3.  Download to your GPS unit, keeping in mind the memory
limitation. (I was able to download all of Arizona and Clark County, NV
Roads/Rec, and a fair chunk of central Arizona Topo with plenty of room to
spare).
> >Step 4.  Once downloaded, go to the map screen.  Enter the Map Setup
screen and highlight the 'i'.  This screen brings up the map tiles along
with something to identify them, such as Topomap for the topo files.  From
what I could gather, Roads/Rec was listed first and was the primary mapset
used.  In order to reveal the other mapsets, you need to begin unchecking
the other mapsets you don't wish to see.  In theory, with enough memory you
could have something from every single piece of Garmin map software
available in the field.  Doing this is simple, and I had no problems
switching between 2 titles on my Vista while sitting on the side of a
mountain really wanting to see the Topo for the area.  :)

> >There really isn't all that much to it, but figuring out how to make it
work was certainly pretty cool.  I was sitting about 100' from In the Cheap
Seats today when it happened.