[Az-Geocaching] Multiple mapsets on Garmin GPS units

Brian Casteel listserv@azgeocaching.com
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 15:20:38 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C3FAE9.C217F5E0

This is mainly for Highpointer, but anyone else interested in how to =
download multiple mapsets will be interested.  A few weeks ago, there =
were some posts about the viability of downloading more than one mapset =
for simultaneous usage/storage on Garmin units.  To my knowledge, and =
scouring instruction manuals, it wasn't possible.  But through some =
trial/error, I figured it out.

If you have multiple MapSource titles installed, you know that in the =
pull-down menu just to the left of the Zoom In/Out buttons, you can =
alternate between them.  Therein lies how to do it.  Keep in mind that =
each unit has limited memory, you'll need to be aware of your available =
storage as you pick maps.  Watching on the Maps tab is a good idea as it =
tallies your chosen map blocks and their respective sizes.

Step 1.  Pick the first title you wish to download map info from.  =
Select each of those tiles using the Map Tool.
Step 2.  Pick the second title you wish to download map info from.  =
Select each of those tiles using the Map Tool.  You'll notice the names =
vary and in the Area column, the title chosen from is identified.
Step 3.  Download to your GPS unit, keeping in mind the memory =
limitation. (I was able to download all of Arizona and Clark County, NV =
Roads/Rec, and a fair chunk of central Arizona Topo with plenty of room =
to spare).
Step 4.  Once downloaded, go to the map screen.  Enter the Map Setup =
screen and highlight the 'i'.  This screen brings up the map tiles along =
with something to identify them, such as Topomap for the topo files.  =
>From what I could gather, Roads/Rec was listed first and was the primary =
mapset used.  In order to reveal the other mapsets, you need to begin =
unchecking the other mapsets you don't wish to see.  In theory, with =
enough memory you could have something from every single piece of Garmin =
map software available in the field.  Doing this is simple, and I had no =
problems switching between 2 titles on my Vista while sitting on the =
side of a mountain really wanting to see the Topo for the area.  :)

There really isn't all that much to it, but figuring out how to make it =
work was certainly pretty cool.  I was sitting about 100' from In the =
Cheap Seats today when it happened. =20

Brian
Team A.I.

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C3FAE9.C217F5E0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>This is mainly for Highpointer, but =
anyone else=20
interested in how to download multiple mapsets will be interested.&nbsp; =
A few=20
weeks ago, there were some posts about the viability of downloading more =
than=20
one mapset for simultaneous usage/storage on Garmin units.&nbsp; To my=20
knowledge, and scouring instruction manuals, it wasn't possible.&nbsp; =
But=20
through some trial/error, I figured it out.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>If you have multiple MapSource titles =
installed,=20
you know that in the pull-down menu just to the left of the Zoom In/Out =
buttons,=20
you can alternate between them.&nbsp; Therein lies how to do it.&nbsp; =
Keep in=20
mind that each unit has limited memory, you'll need to be aware of your=20
available storage as you pick maps.&nbsp; Watching on the Maps tab is a =
good=20
idea as it tallies your chosen map blocks and their respective=20
sizes.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Step 1.&nbsp; Pick the first title you =
wish to=20
download map info from.&nbsp; Select each of those tiles using the Map=20
Tool.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Step 2.&nbsp; Pick the second title you =
wish to=20
download map info from.&nbsp; Select each of those tiles using the Map=20
Tool.&nbsp; You'll notice the names vary and in the Area column, the =
title=20
chosen from is identified.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Step 3.&nbsp; Download to your GPS =
unit, keeping in=20
mind the memory limitation. (I was able to download all of Arizona and =
Clark=20
County, NV Roads/Rec, and a fair chunk of central Arizona Topo with =
plenty of=20
room to spare).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Step 4.&nbsp; Once downloaded, go to =
the map=20
screen.&nbsp; Enter the Map Setup screen and highlight the =
'<EM>i</EM>'.&nbsp;=20
This screen brings up the map tiles along with something to identify =
them, such=20
as Topomap for the topo files.&nbsp; From what I could gather, Roads/Rec =
was=20
listed first and was the primary mapset used.&nbsp; In order to reveal=20
the&nbsp;other mapsets, you need to begin unchecking the other mapsets =
you don't=20
wish to see.&nbsp; In theory, with enough memory you could have =
something from=20
every single piece of Garmin map software available in the field.&nbsp; =
Doing=20
this is simple, and I had no problems switching between 2 titles on my =
Vista=20
while sitting on the side of a mountain really wanting to see the Topo =
for the=20
area.&nbsp; :)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>There really isn't all that much to it, =
but=20
figuring out how to make it work was certainly pretty cool.&nbsp; I was =
sitting=20
about 100' from In the Cheap Seats today when it happened.&nbsp; =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Brian</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Team A.I.</FONT></DIV>

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C3FAE9.C217F5E0--