[Az-Geocaching] re: gps cell phones

kb7yvw kb7yvw at commspeed.net
Tue Dec 28 11:21:38 MST 2004

Let's see if I can do this and sound like I know what I am doing here. Back
in late 2001 or early 2002 the government made it law that all cell phones
will be gps capable by 2006 I think most cell makers have shoot for mid 2005
to have this done this was to make the enhanced 911 system work better there
is a small gps chip in the phone that sends the info to the cell company and
the enhanced 911 center (witch we don't have here in Yavapai co.) to let
them know where you are in the event that you call 911. Most cell makers
make an option to make it 911 only or on all the time. I do know Nextel does
not have that option to turn it off(at least on my work phone) they
advertise this feature as a selling point to keep track of units in the
field. I am not to sure I am liking the idea of the possibility of big
brother hacking the system  and just hanging out watching me cruse around.
Ok I am going to go back lurking

Jim

Telaviper YCJP 2029