[Az-Geocaching] GPS cell phones

Rand Hardin rhrdn8 at juno.com
Mon Dec 27 12:34:38 MST 2004

It's now 12:30 and I'm listening to Roger Hitchkock (in for Rush Limbaugh), KFYI (610 am) radio.  This subject seems to be the topic of the day for all the radio shows!  There is discussion of both GPS cell phones and vehicle GPS systems, and privacy issues.

Rand (RandMan)

OK.  I see what you mean.  I think it would be hard for a cell site to
get a fix on your phone.  I believe you would need a couple of signals
and I don't think the cells overlap to the point where you could use
their receivers.  If a cell phone was transmitting ID information to the cell site, I don't see how another cell site could, also receive it to begin the job of figuring out the coordinates.  By the same token, I
don't think any 2 or 3 cell sites could send data to the cell phone
where it could figure out "Where am I"  I would like to know more
about how the 911 system will pin point your cell phone.  I understand how the cell site provider could say you are transmitting from your phone in such and such an area based on the signal received by the cell site from you phone.  But that is about all I can come up with right now.  Course, it took me 2 years to understand how the GPS works,,,, so what do I know....
Bob Smith, Team Petite Elite