[Az-Geocaching] If It's Not a Find, What Is It Then?

Team Tierra Buena teamtierrabuena at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 7 22:13:53 MST 2004

I think it's safe to say that the consensus on this list is that you've
got to sign the log to log the find. But if you don't get to sign the
log, what then?

Say you get to the cache site, you can physically see the container, but
you can't get to it because it's surrounded by bees? Or say you can
physically hold the container in your hands, but you're too weak and/or
too stupid to figure out how to open it, and there's no indication on
the cache page that there's any kind of trick or puzzle to get the cache
open? Or say you go back to the same cache site four times before you
finally find the container?

Almost everyone seems to agree these situations are not "finds", but are
they "not finds"? Do you log them as NFs or do you consider these cases
where you just can't log the find yet?

All opinions welcome, but for the record, we have logged NFs in all
three of the above situations. You can find our bee log at Titan Missile
Museum, our "couldn't get it open" at Tubular-1, and our *three* NF logs
at Holiday Cache (we have also eventually logged finds at the last two
of those). So this is not exactly a hypothetical exercise for us. Our
opinion is on the cache pages, but how would you have handled these
situations? Log 'em or leave 'em? Or something else?

(Please don't say "claim 'em".)

Steve
Team Tierra Buena