[Az-Geocaching] RE: people "Finding" a cache that wasn't there

Brian Cluff brian at Snaptek.com
Tue Dec 7 10:06:19 MST 2004

Bill Nolan wrote:

> What ever happened to those nice, old clichés, like “different strokes
> for different folks,” or “walking to the beat of a different drummer?”
> Why is it necessary for people to make the sort of dictatorial
> comments like the one below? Come on, Adolph, lighten up!

I'm afraid that I have to agree with those comments. There ARE rules to
geocaching as listed on the official site at:
http://www.geocaching.com/faq/
they are listed as:

*What are the rules in Geocaching?*

Geocaching is a relatively new phenomenon. Therefore, the rules are very
simple:

1. Take something from the cache

2. Leave something in the cache

3. Write about it in the logbook

It does mention that the Taking and Leaving part of the rules are
optional elsewhere in the FAQ, but nowhere does it say that signing the
log is optional. Signing the log book is the only reward that the people
placing the caches get. If it wasn't for the log book, the cache would
just be trash in the desert that people keep looking for.
To show how important following the rules are to geocaching imagine a
different aspect of the game of geocaching known as the travel bug. Now
imagine that people just moved the travel bug from cache to cache
without logging it, what good does that do for anyone. The entire
purpose of that travel bug is to log where it's boon. Sometimes the bug
has a particular place in mind as a goal, but without the logs of where
it's been, it just the worlds poorest, most unreliable shipping service.

Without the logs, I might as well flush my cache or travel bug down the
toilet... it will do me the same amount of good, the the cache/travel
bug will still get to go on an adventure.

At the other extreme of people that feel it's OK to make up their own
rules, there was a certain Pirate a year or so ago that decided their
rules were "Take contents, Take log, leave note". I don't remember what
actually happened with that whole deal, I think the pirate just
disappeared instead of going through with the rest of their plan for the
cache contents, mostly due to the fact that there were people out for blood.

Brian Cluff
Team Snaptek