[Az-Geocaching] people "Finding" a cache that wasn't there.

Paul Hruby xqsxqs at qwest.net
Mon Dec 6 21:25:32 MST 2004

Hi all,

Sorry I couldn't include a small snip of the thread.  I'm getting the list
via digest mode and am still new at this.

I've been following this thread and I'd like to add my $.02 from a newbie's
perspective.  I started caching in May '04.  There was a urban cache near my
house.  I got right to the cache, but it looked like it was missing &
trashed -  some small trinkets were around on the ground, so I emailed the
owner.  Even though I correctly answered the riddle and could have claimed
the find, I didn't log it as a find.  The owner did confirm it was gone and
had replaced it.  The cache has since been taken off line, still minus my
log.

Common sense tells you that if there is a simple rule that says if you find
it, log it then the find is yours.  I've climbed around a the top of a hill
for 40 minutes in the middle of the summer looking for a cache and logged a
no find.  I've gone back to another cache 3 times before I found it, logged
it and claimed the find (the walk was a mile round trip).

I'm still learning and even though the common sense stuff doesn't always
come about, I ask questions from others etc.  I was glad I attended the
event cache at Lake Pleasant recently.  I learned a lot from that.

In my opinion, the reward is sweeter when you follow the rules and you can
truly say you've found it.  One of my favorite sayings is:

"Never  take the path of least resistance. "

 It's something that I try to work at every day to improve the way I live my
life.

You all take care, have a happy holiday and hope to see some of you out and
about.

Sonic Warthog

---