[Az-Geocaching] Yuban the Can II (Aka Everything that can happen with caching trip.)

Joe Brekke listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sun, 18 Apr 2004 14:44:21 -0700

> ps When you go to RTW-1 I bet it will take the joy out of Exercising

I'll do that sometime, and look forward to it, but I won't do it with a kid
on my back.  I won't take them on it where there is a possiblility that they
can get hurt.  But since another reason that I started doing this was to
spend time with my kids someplace other than the couch, I usually have Erik
along when caching so that kind of leaves it out.

I have done the Camelback caches, and (Insert your politically correct name
here) Caches with Erik on my back, and climbed to the tops of those peaks
and down.  Usually for me, going up isn't the problem, but coming down is,
especially with the backpack on my back, because with the added weight and
having it that far up on my body the extra moment of inertia causes a
balance problem, and the extra weight gets my knees in which I have
arthritis from old Wrestling and Football injuries and operations.

I've also done a lot of other caches with him on my back where there is no
trail (or not much of one) and steepness is an issue...Bacon Cache, Apache
Leap, are ones that come to mind right off, and quite a few others.  Again
there it is really a balance issue.  Try to come down the steep rocky
terrain picking a trail through rocks that can roll out from under your feet
pretty easily with that weight on your back.  You have to be pretty careful
not to end up on your backside...which I've done a 5 times.  Erik was asleep
on 3 of those and stayed asleep, miraculously, through them.  I've taken the
brunt of the falls, I turn on the way down so that he doesn't get hurt, that
causes me to usually take a worse spill than I would have otherwise...my
legs show it, that is where most of the DNA that I have left at cache sites
comes from.

But again that is a lot of the fun of it for me.