[Az-Geocaching] Yuban the Can II (Aka Everything that can happen with caching trip.)

Joe Brekke listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sun, 18 Apr 2004 07:25:05 -0700

Here's our log for this cache for this cache of just a week ago...one
sentence seems to loom large after TEF's experience.

Found the first Yuban the Can cache some time ago.  Has taken a while for us
to get around to this one.  I figured that we could make it up the hill in
our 2-wheel drive SUV, but I started doing this for the exercise, so we
hoofed it up.  I had my 3 y.o. on my shoulders, and couldn't believe that he
fell asleep with his head on the back of mine.

Didn't take too long to get to the top, but was fairly steep and a good
workout.  Got to the cache area and found it in short order.

Thanks for a fun cache I could do with my boys...

TeamBlunder
Joe, Brad, & Erik

That's been true with a lot of caches that we have done, especially when I
have Erik along.  I like going into cache with him on my back in the baby
backpack, or on my shoulders as with this cache.  Makes things a lot more
interesting and fun for us.  I would much rather park the vehicle and walk
in for these short, steep caches and get some exercise than to drive it up
there.  I don't get any satisfaction or thrill writing something like
"parked 60 feet away" in my log, but I do get satisfaction and a sense of
accomplishment from  carrying 45 - 50 lbs up these hills around here in the
form of my 3 y.o., backpack, and water that we carry to do it.  For those of
you who have never met me, (and that's really most of you), I'm a 260 lb,
overweight man with bum knees who is an Engineer and gets very little
exercise all week at my job.  I do swim a mile during lunches 4 - 5 times a
week at a nearby YMCA and then go out on these outings.  So with that
description maybe you can see why I get a sense of accomplishment about
having my child on my back while doing this.  It's just an estimate, a WAG
really, but I think Erik has been on my back for around 400 or so caches.

Erik's getting to the point now where he wants to walk up these hills,
though I ALWAYS put on the backpack on longer hikes, or end up putting him
on my shoulders, he's pretty good about pooping out while going up them.
With this particular cache he wanted on my shoulders as soon as the incline
started, which was within 100 ft of where we parked our vehicle.  Soon, I
image, Erik will walk to all these, and I can start over with Harmon on my
back, that will really put some strain on as he is 24 lbs at 8.5 months!

I guess that walking up when you have a choice isn't that popular in these
days of trying to fit in 10 plus caches, (or many more), into every one of
our cache outings, but it works for us.  Of course we really aren't and
never have been worried about any numbers, we just kind of do this as a
hobby, for the exercise, and as a way to get myself and the kids out of the
house as my wife sleeps after working a 12 hour night shift on Friday
nights...although I do, occasionally, find some caches on my way home from
work.

So the next time that some of you are faced with a choice of whether to
drive or walk, you might want to take the safe way out and get some
exercise...or not.

Reagan, I hope you get your cache mobile repaired soon and get back out
there.