[Az-Geocaching] opencaching.com

Brian Cluff listserv@azgeocaching.com
Tue, 23 Sep 2003 23:36:45 -0700

Andrew Ayre wrote:
> If you reduce the items in the list down like you have, what do you take out
> and what do you leave in? For example, I see that in your list you have
> omitted the single most important thing for my wife - accurate distance to
> the cache from the nearest parking. Different things are important to
> different people.

I just put a few things down off the top of my head.  I would think it
would be far from complete, and perhaps the questions were a bit over
simplified, but it sounds like the point arrived intact :)
I guess in a nut shell.  The system that I think would be practicle
would be one that is fuzzy enough that someone could not even know about
any handicapped guidelines while hiding the cache and be able to answer
the questions without having to remember a lot of specific details.  I
know that I never really pay attention to if there is a ledge or not,
(and how many inches constitutes a ledge anyway...) but I can remember
to the best of my knowledge if the trail was mostly level and didn't
have anything that would be too difficult for someone in a wheelchair or
crutches.

Anyway, when you first brought up guidelines for handicaped people, I
had planned to add it to azgeocaching along with another similar idea I
had about doing a slightly more fine grained terrain/difficulty
measurement.  The idea is that everyone could log in and rate a
particular cache themselves.  Then it would show you an avarage of how
hard people found the cache.  I would just add a few more items so that
people could rate how handicap accessable the cache was.  Then you could
pay attention to the average or if you trust a certain cachers
experience you could look directly at what they though of a particular
cache and not have to worry about the accuracy of the cache hiders
opinion of accessability.  That would also help to get a lot more
handicap ratings on a lot more caches, much more quickly than relying on
the hiders to add them to their caches.
...problem is that my job situation changed drasticly not to long after
I envisioned it, so I only have parts of the code done and still have a
lot more work to go.
I hope to some day get enough free time again to start work on all that.
   It will really added a lot of interesting data and customizable
features to the azgeocaching.com site... oh well, someday.

Brian Cluff
Team Snaptek