[Az-Geocaching] opencaching.com

Brian Cluff listserv@azgeocaching.com
Tue, 23 Sep 2003 19:20:29 -0700

Andrew Ayre wrote:
> Also the guy running opencaching.com has shown an interest in integrating my
> Handicap Accessibility Guideline Generator into the site. Something that
> geocaching.com appears to have no interest in doing, despite my offer to
> Jeremy of the PHP code for free...

Jeremy might have had a problem with your HGG, for the same reason that
I did.  It's waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too fine grained.  Not only would it take
a significant amount of time to fill it out, but it would squeeze all
the fun out of hiding a cache for cacher.  You would literally need a
clipboard and a large list of things to continually scan for while
hiding the cache to make sure that not a single thing got missed.
Now don't get me wrong, I think it's a wonderful thing to try and
include as many people as possible, but it seems like the amount of
deatil would squeeze the fun out of geocaching for the people that it is
intended for... you need to leave a little something suprise in the end.
I think you would be better off with just boiling the whole thing down
to just a few questions like the ratings rather than breaking down every
little detail, something like:

handicap friendly Parking or Starting Point coords:___
Parking or Starting Point diffuculty: (0-9)
Cache Vicinity terrain: (0-9)
bending required (yes no)
bathrooms nearby (yes no)
cache may be difficult to open (yes no)

The cache location and style section in particular is so detailed as to
make it no fun at all.  I'm suprised there isn't a close up picture of
the cache and cache hiding location from a distance in that section.
You can't cater to everyone, so just make it general and make a
definition of what the different ratings appoximatly mean and leave it
up to the people to decide if they want to go to the cache or not.

Brian Cluff
Team Snaptek

P.S. You did leave out a place to list all plants in the area.  We
wouldn't want to leave out people with severe allergies. :)
There is also no mention of the amount of thorns and other stickers that
might get into a seeing eye dog's feet <grin> :)