[Az-Geocaching] Cutting firewood in Arizona

Virgil Silhanek listserv@azgeocaching.com
10 Sep 2003 10:52:47 -0700

This is kind of off-topic, but I thought I'd ask the wealth of knowledge
on this list before I start calling various people.  My dad shipped me a
little chainsaw that he no longer uses.  So now, I would like to get a
permit to go and cut firewood in the National Forests somewhere.  I
don't need very much, but wanted to get some for use when camping.

I've noticed that you need to have a USFS approved spark arrestor.  How
do I determine if my saw has that?  I believe it already does, but am
not sure.  I don't want to be the person responsible for starting the
next big forest fire.

Also, does it matter where you cut wood?  I saw on the Coconio NF site,
they have restrictions of what type of trees you cut.  Do they have
designated areas to cut trees for wood?

Does anyone have experience with cutting firewood already?  What NF and
what official(s) are the best for me to contact for more information?

To keep this so it isn't totally off-topic, I thought it would be great
to cut a log container for a cache.  Is anyone aware of such existing
caches that use a wood container.  I think there are some out there that
have been hidden in rocks, but what about logs?

Thanks,

Virgil Silhanek