[Az-Geocaching] Critters near caches

Bryon Culling listserv@azgeocaching.com
Tue, 2 Sep 2003 00:21:43 -0700 (PDT)

--0-986061953-1062487303=:92312

I was up on Squaw Peak a few years ago watching the Sunset with a girlfriend.  on our way down, we ran accross a small rattler just off the trail.  she was clueless and walked right past the thing and never even noticed it.  How could you not.  I heard it and started looking for it with the flashlight before moving again.  It was only about 3 feet off the trail on the up hill side of a switch back but that was close enough.  I let it find it's way under a bush before I left.  I thought it was kid of cool.  I haddent seen  one in town before.   They are out there.  I know South mountain is just full of scorpions.  I was up there when I was a kid at night and it seemed like they were everywhere you looked.  My folks freaked out and we left.

Trisha <trisha@brasher.com> wrote:Hi all,

I thought I'd take this opportunity to remind everyone to be careful
around any caches that are in areas that could be good habitat for
rattlesnakes (and I guess you should be careful of scorpions, black
widows, etc....some of these "urban micros" require reaching into
likely critter spots). This fall/wet weather seems to bring them out
in the daytime.

I recently had a face-to-face with a LARGE Western Diamondback
Rattlesnake up on the Agua Fria near Black Canyon City. See GCGK5D.

I imagine there are areas in the metro Phoenix area where you could
find pit-vipers, but take special care in the boonies.

It was kinda funny....I'm not afraid of snakes and, having quite a bit
of reptile and walking-in-the-middle-of-nowhere experience, I walk
carefully, and noisily. Luckily! It gave this big guy time to rattle
and move off to hide. I was innocently following the GPS to the cache
while hubby was taking a pic of a pretty cactus about 20 feet behind
me when he heard the rattle (cicadas were in the trees, but this was
louder) and then heard me calmly say, "Um, we have a rattlesnake in
the way, right there...a big one." By the time he walked to where I
was stopped in my tracks and watching the snake, he wasn't able to get
a pic (it went under a rock). I pick up non-poisonous snakes, Steve
Irwin style, just for fun, but rattlers deserve a respectful distance.

The other humorous part was that we were on the way to the DBacks
game...and ran into a Diamondback, and we did NOT want this one's
autograph!!

Have fun and BE SAFE OUT THERE!!

Trisha "Lightning1996YCJP"
Prescott

--0-986061953-1062487303=:92312

<DIV>I was up on Squaw Peak&nbsp;a few years ago watching the Sunset with a girlfriend.&nbsp; on our way down, we ran accross a small rattler just off the trail.&nbsp; she was clueless and walked right past the thing and never even noticed it.&nbsp; How could you not.&nbsp; I heard it and started looking for it with the flashlight before moving again.&nbsp; It was only about 3 feet off the trail on the up hill side of a switch back but that was close enough.&nbsp; I let it find it's way under a bush before I left.&nbsp; I thought it was kid of cool.&nbsp; I haddent seen&nbsp; one in town before.&nbsp;&nbsp; They are out there.&nbsp; I know South mountain is just full of scorpions.&nbsp; I was up there when I was a kid at night and it seemed like they were everywhere you looked.&nbsp; My folks freaked out and we left.<BR><BR><B><I>Trisha &lt;trisha@brasher.com&gt;</I></B> wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">Hi all,<BR><BR>I thought I'd take this opportunity to remind everyone to be careful<BR>around any caches that are in areas that could be good habitat for<BR>rattlesnakes (and I guess you should be careful of scorpions, black<BR>widows, etc....some of these "urban micros" require reaching into<BR>likely critter spots). This fall/wet weather seems to bring them out<BR>in the daytime.<BR><BR>I recently had a face-to-face with a LARGE Western Diamondback<BR>Rattlesnake up on the Agua Fria near Black Canyon City. See GCGK5D.<BR><BR>I imagine there are areas in the metro Phoenix area where you could<BR>find pit-vipers, but take special care in the boonies.<BR><BR>It was kinda funny....I'm not afraid of snakes and, having quite a bit<BR>of reptile and walking-in-the-middle-of-nowhere experience, I walk<BR>carefully, and noisily. Luckily! It gave this big guy time to rattle<BR>and move off to
 hide. I was innocently following the GPS to the cache<BR>while hubby was taking a pic of a pretty cactus about 20 feet behind<BR>me when he heard the rattle (cicadas were in the trees, but this was<BR>louder) and then heard me calmly say, "Um, we have a rattlesnake in<BR>the way, right there...a big one." By the time he walked to where I<BR>was stopped in my tracks and watching the snake, he wasn't able to get<BR>a pic (it went under a rock). I pick up non-poisonous snakes, Steve<BR>Irwin style, just for fun, but rattlers deserve a respectful distance.<BR><BR>The other humorous part was that we were on the way to the DBacks<BR>game...and ran into a Diamondback, and we did NOT want this one's<BR>autograph!!<BR><BR>Have fun and BE SAFE OUT THERE!!<BR><BR>Trisha "Lightning1996YCJP"<BR>Prescott<BR>____________________________________________________________<BR>Az-Geocaching mailing list listserv@azgeocaching.com<BR>To edit your setting, subscribe or unsubscribe