[Az-Geocaching] Arizona Adventure Racing series - DesertRageAR.com

RopingThe Wind listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 31 Oct 2003 08:50:55 -0800

>From: barry.neely@prudential.com
>To: listserv@azgeocaching.com
>Subject: RE: [Az-Geocaching] Arizona Adventure Racing series -
>DesertRageAR.com
>Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 11:24:54 -0700
>

>I know that it might be hard to believe but there was a time before GPS.
>All you had was map and compass.  And yes there are some of us that can use
>one real well. Has anyone heard of Orienteering?
>
>Hiker

I would consider myself very well versed in using a map and compass. I have
always wanted to go seek out a wilderness cache and leave the GPS at home.
Havent done it yet though. Just pinpoint the location on a topo map and go
seek! Me and a friend had considered tryng out Orienteering. Very shortly
after learning about Orienteering, I discovered geocaching. In fact, it was
in my seeking of info on Orienteering on the internet that I stumbled upon
geocaching! So, never did get to try Orienteering out! :)

My other hobby has me using maps and compass all the time. I fly in hot air
balloon competitions. This involved flying to a set number of targets placed
throughout a competition map area (a map will usually encompass about 30x30
miles or so, maybe more, maybe less). These maps are the typical 1:24,000
topo maps that have been merged together and also contains other information
added by the race organizers (powerlines, recent road additions, etc.). My
goal is to pinpoint the location of the targets on the map (we do this by
'gridding' the map in 1000 meter boxes and then breaking those down to
smaller boxes to get a most precise location) then go fly to them. All
measurements are metric and we use a UTM grid. I then let off a small helium
balloon to 'test' the wind directions and speed above the ground. I use a
sighting compass to determine the direction of the helium balloon. I then
lay the track of the helium balloon down on the map (using a straightedge
and a compass rose) and we drive to a location the specified distance from
the target upwind. At this point, we set up another helium balloon and
repeat that process to 'fine tune' and determine a final launch location.
Once this is done, we begin the process to go fly. Some tasks require the
pilot to determine his own target (called a pilot declared goal). We can use
any intersection shown on the competition map (roadways, RR tracks). We have
to figure out the coordinates with the map and then give those coords to a
race official (called an observer) that rides along in the ground vehicle of
each team. Once in the air, most of the work is done by GPS at this point. I
have input the coords for all the targets into my GPS and now I just have to
fly the balloon by GPS (easier said then done!). Although, there are some
tasks that require doing map work in the air while flying as well.
Typically, I will form a route to all the targets in my GPS and then attempt
to fly that route.

Something I have always wanted to do: fly a balloon to a geocache! This
would involve the very same process described above as I am trying to get to
a specific location on the ground. A balloon goes where the wind goes and I
cannot steer it otherwise. This is why all the map work is required to
determine launch location and flight path. Of course, the goal would be to
land as close as possible to the cache so we didnt have to walk very far. I
cannot leave the basket and a team member would have to retreive the cache
(then bring it back to me, since I am the team leader and I must sign the
logbook). Anyways, someday we will try that! Perhaps I will try to fly the
balloon to the AARRGG Cache! (just kidding Minicker!) :)

Scott
Team Ropingthewind

Service.  Try it FREE for one month!   http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup