[Az-Geocaching] off topic e-mail question

Brian Cluff listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 31 Oct 2003 09:36:33 -0700

Brian LaFrance wrote:
> I think there's been an increase in spam because someone probably figured
> out that most of our email addresses are exposed on AZGeocaching.com.

THATS SIMPLY NOT TRUE!!!  I We've gone out of our way to protect
everyone e-mail address as much as possible.  I protect everyone privacy
like I would protect my own.

The address list is NOT published on purpose to prevent privacy and SPAM
problems, and the archives have all the e-mail addresses removed from
the message, leaving just the person's name that posted it.  The ONLY 2
ways I can think of that would allow a spammer to get ahold of any
e-mail address' off this list would be to either subscribe to the list
itself, which would only get them a few e-mail addresses because the
vast majority of the people on this list never actually post anything.
That would end up being too much work for suck a low payout, so they
probably wouldn't do it.  The other way, and the more likely way, would
be to crawl through the archives and look for people that signed their
messages with an e-mail address.
I would recommend that if you want to sign messages with your e-mail
address, that you type it our like "person at service dot com".  That
has been found to be an effective way of stopping spam.

Brian Cluff
Team Snaptek