[Az-Geocaching] Solar Flare

Jim Scotti listserv@azgeocaching.com
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 21:15:34 -0700 (MST)

I'm not sure if it is more powerful than that one.  I saw in one online
source that it was supposed to be the 3rd most powerful ever detected, but I
don't know what interval that is over or what source they used.  It might
well only be the 3rd most powerful seen since SOHO launched about 6 or 7
years ago or something similar....  But you are right, these solar storms can
definitely significantly affect communications.

Jim.

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003, Brian Casteel wrote:

> Interesting.  Is this one any more powerful than the one that wiped out the
> Canadian power-grid?  I can tell you for certain that it will affect radio
> systems.  We had significant problems due to the EMI caused by last week's
> storm, and it made communication with officers extremely difficult.
>
> Brian
> Team A.I.

Jim Scotti
Lunar & Planetary Laboratory