[Az-Geocaching] law enforcement

Gale listserv@azgeocaching.com
Mon, 27 Oct 2003 09:04:17 -0800 (PST)

--0-56794011-1067274257=:48275

You wrote:

The obvious fact is that law enforcement in general is
unnecessary overhead, and a burden on society.  We live in a somewhat peaceful society due to the majority of citizens that voluntarily follow laws - not
from the thankless (but certainly well paid) efforts of law enforcement.
Let's face it - if crime decreased (and how often is crime actually thwarted
by a cop?) we'd have to lay off cops.

I'd love to know where you live. As much as we would like it to be, our society is not peaceful. The majority may follow laws but it is only a slim majority. Take a look at the roads. Beyond speeding, I see people daily breaking the law and risking the safety of others because they no longer respect the laws of our land. If this is a peaceful society, why do you lock the doors of your cars and home?

When my family was touched by violence, I thought it was a rare occurence. Here in my upper middle class neighborhood, there are many people who have had loved ones murdered. Crime will not decrease as long as people have an "I can do what I want" attitude. If cops are not able to eliminate crime to your satisfaction, perhaps it is because budget restrictions prevent them from being able to hire enough people to stop the increasing number of people who don't give a darn about the laws of our society. My encounters with cops in all jurisdictions, including the Indian reservations, have all been pleasant even when the circumstances have been terrible. My most recent encounter with an officer was when we went after a cache at night in Apache Junction. See log here.  I have no reason to fear or despise police officers.

--0-56794011-1067274257=:48275

<DIV>
<P><FONT color=#00407f>You wrote:</FONT></P>
<P><FONT color=#00407f>The obvious fact is that law enforcement in general is<BR>unnecessary overhead, and a burden on society.&nbsp; We live in a somewhat peaceful society due to the majority of citizens that voluntarily follow laws - not<BR>from the thankless (but certainly well paid) efforts of law enforcement.<BR>Let's face it - if crime decreased (and how often is crime actually thwarted<BR>by a cop?) we'd have to lay off cops.</FONT> </P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>I'd love to know where you live. As much as we would like it to be, our society is not peaceful. The majority may follow laws but it is only a slim majority. Take a look at the roads. Beyond speeding, I see people daily breaking the law and risking the safety of others because they no longer respect the laws of our land. If this is a peaceful society, why do you lock the doors of your cars and home? </P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>When my family was touched by violence, I thought it was a rare occurence.&nbsp;Here in my upper middle class neighborhood, there are many people&nbsp;who have had loved ones murdered. Crime will not decrease as long as people have an "I can do what I want" attitude. If cops are not able to eliminate crime to your satisfaction, perhaps it is because budget restrictions prevent them from being able to hire enough people to stop the increasing number of people who don't give a darn about the laws of our society. My encounters with cops in all jurisdictions, including the Indian reservations, have all been pleasant even when the circumstances have been terrible. My most recent encounter with an officer was when we went after a cache at night in Apache Junction. <A href="http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?luid={F13CBD51-3EF7-4A51-9E5D-9388481158FF}">See log</A> here. &nbsp;I have no reason to fear or despise police officers. </P>
<P><STRONG></STRONG>&nbsp;</P>
<P><STRONG></STRONG>&nbsp;</P></DIV><p><hr SIZE=1>
Do you Yahoo!?<br>
Exclusive Video Premiere - <a href="http://launch.yahoo.com/video/?1093432&fs=1&redirectURL=http://launch.yahoo.com/promos/britneyspears/">Britney Spears</a>
--0-56794011-1067274257=:48275--