[Az-Geocaching] Who Manages What

Sun, 26 Oct 2003 23:40:17 -0500

Ok, before I get into the overall issues here, allow me to point out the obvious.

13-1502. Criminal trespass in the third degree; classification

A. A person commits criminal trespass in the third degree by:

1. Knowingly entering or remaining unlawfully on any real property after a reasonable request to leave by the owner or any other person having lawful control over such property, or reasonable notice prohibiting entry.

2. Knowingly entering or remaining unlawfully on the right-of-way for tracks, or the storage or switching yards or rolling stock of a railroad company.

B. Criminal trespass in the third degree is a class 3 misdemeanor.

You first have to be warned about trespassing before being arrested for...trespassing.  If you return you are in violation, and therefore can be arrested.

13-1503. Criminal trespass in the second degree; classification

A. A person commits criminal trespass in the second degree by knowingly entering or remaining unlawfully in or on any nonresidential structure or in any fenced commercial yard.

B. Criminal trespass in the second degree is a class 2 misdemeanor.

You weren't knowingly violating anything, and there were no No Parking signs so you weren't illegally parked.  Had he cited you, this would be an easy win in court.  It wasn't a fenced in commercial yard, but PUBLIC PARK LAND.

When I found the cache in question, my truck, along with another vehicle that was occupied by LazyK, Team CHUMP and another cacher (sorry I can't remember the third team) were parked in the same area.  My introduction to them was yelling across that a cop was at our vehicles.  We all stood and watched for a few minutes, and the Jeep SUV drove away.  I spoke to a Sgt for the Maricopa County Park Rangers a few weeks ago, and the guy was extremely friendly.  It was nothing about geocaching, but he was still pretty friendly nonetheless.

Now much to my surprise, I see that the area where the cache was hidden IS in fact Usery Mountain Recreation Area land.

http://www.maporama.com/share/Map.asp?SESSIONID=%7BE7EF57D8-5E92-40A4-A49D-F4D6FBCE42A8%7D&NavigateHeight=46&NavigateWidth=46&ClickMode=1&XgoClickMap.x=369&XgoClickMap.y=269

His threat to arrest was real in that he could have, but the case may very well not have held up in court for one simple reason.  The policies as defined on THEIR website spell out something different than what he is telling you.  If they have shirked in their duties and not placed updated policy information, there isn't much legal ground for him to stand on.  It would be clear grounds for an IA investigation into the incident after a formal complaint was filed.

The 'violation' is a simple misdemeanor.  Without a search warrant, nobody can take your computer(s)/GPS/PDA/cellphone/Pringles can used for war-driving away from your home.  I challenge anyone to find a judge who would actually sign off on a warrant to seize computers for a simple crime of trespassing on public park lands.

Until they change the information on their website,

http://www.maricopa.gov/parks/news/

no case they initiate will hold up to any pressure.  Also, seizing homes/cars/'everything else' is so full of crap this officer should be reported.  My job is all about dealing with officers on a regular basis as their dispatcher (aka 'information provider'), and I enjoy researching issues that I think are interesting.  In this case, it's the invalid BS this guy was feeding you, which proves my point in an earlier e-mail about his flexing his proverbial muscle.  It might have gotten me in a little hot water, but I'd have called him out on it and demanded a supervisor respond.  If need be, I myself would have called MCSO for assistance in dealing with this, because the District-1 officers are only a few miles south of that area.  But since I wasn't confronted like the two of you were, I'm not going to get into the what-ifs of all of this, although I have been questioned by officers on numerous occasions related to Geocaching.  Due to the heightened state of constant paranoia f
 ollowing the 9-11 attacks, officers perceive many more things as suspicious for often no reason at all.  That little baby in the stroller sucking on a Tootsie Pop might be widdling away the coating to a ball of C-4 that mommy is going to use to blow up the produce section of the grocery store.

It's unfortunate that everyone thinks everyone else is a terrorist (Scott could use his balloon to release a deadly nerve agent you know ;) ), and in a way the terrorists have already won due to the changes invoked in our ways of thinking and public perceptions.  I guess some of it might not be unfounded if what I read regularly was made public, but it should have never been allowed to reach this level.

<back on topic>

His statements regarding National Forest Lands is invalid for one simple reason.  He has no jurisdiction on those lands, and couldn't site you if he wanted to because they area FEDERAL lands.  The Sgt I spoke to mentioned that he couldn't site someone that was violating a law in Bulldog Canyon, because the Mesa Park Rangers and that area are under Federal law.

Oh, and if you are in the park on foot, it's only $1 or 2.  I parked out on that road and hiked in to hike Usery Pass (King Usery's Treasure), and they only charged me a fraction of the cost because I was not in a vehicle.  On bike/foot makes a difference, so it would have only cost you at most $2/each.

It's sad that this guy had to go on a power-trip with the 2 of you.  These are the kinds of things that give police officers overall a bad rap, and they don't seem to care.  If you have his name and/or badge, I would urge you to file a formal complaint and let IA handle the issue from there.