[Az-Geocaching] Cheater / Not Cheater

Andrew Ayre listserv@azgeocaching.com
Thu, 29 May 2003 09:38:40 -0700

I think another point that you should understand Marc, is that it is
generally regarded as open to the cache hider the exact rules on recording a
find for that specific cache. A lot of cache hiders when comparing the paper
log to the online log will delete your online log (including me - I will
Email the person first to find out what is going on), so you are running the
risk of having your online record altered/deleted in places. Is that what
you want for not spending literally 30 seconds to write at least your name
on a piece of paper? If you follow the numbers game then I wouldn't think
so. If you are happy with that and just having fun finding then I don't see
a problem with you not signing the log. Just don't start complaining when
people delete your online logs.

Andy

-----Original Message-----
From: az-geocaching-admin@listserv.azgeocaching.com
[mailto:az-geocaching-admin@listserv.azgeocaching.com]On Behalf Of Brian
Cluff
Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2003 9:21 AM
To: listserv@azgeocaching.com
Subject: Re: [Az-Geocaching] Cheater / Not Cheater

Marc Leitermann wrote:
> “What are the rules in Geocaching?
> Geocaching is a relatively new phenomenon. Therefore, the rules are very
simple:
> 1. Take something from the cache
> 2. Leave something in the cache
> 3. Write about it in the logbook “

> BTW, I list only caches I find.  Anything I cannot find (and there are a
number)I do not list, nor do I make notes, etc.  This is my personal
preference, so that when I look at my on-line listings, they are not
cluttered up.

> Do I plan on changing?  I do not believe I will.  I’m out to have fun.

I think you seem to be missing the point of the person hiding the cache.
If I just wanted my stuff to sit in the desert and didn't care if I knew
  for a fact that people were visiting it I would just throw it out the
window.  The logs are what makes the cache worth hiding.  And I don't
think you will find anyone that will argue that the log IN the cache
isn't the authoritative list of people that have been to the cache.
Especially since there are usually 1/3 or more cachers listed in the
paper logs than there are on the online version.

Brian Cluff
Team Snaptek