[Az-Geocaching] Cone Mountain cache

RopingThe Wind listserv@azgeocaching.com
Thu, 25 Dec 2003 21:48:44 -0800

>From: Bob Renner <renner001@yahoo.com>
>To: listserv@azgeocaching.com
>Subject: [Az-Geocaching] Cone Mountain cache
>Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2003 19:20:37 -0800 (PST)
>
>I placed my Cone Mountain cache
>http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=270
>almost 3 years ago on Dec 31, 2000.
>
>I plan on checking on it and doing cache maintenance
>on it's 3 year anniversary on Dec 31, 2003.  Since the
>area is a great place to mountain bike, I will be
>riding in on my bike.  If anyone else is interested in
>joining me for a little mountain biking, let me know
>and we can plan on where and when to meet.
>
>Bob Renner

I am surpised that this cache hasn't seen more visits. It has a good number
of find logs... but, considering it was planted 3 years ago (!) and the fact
that it isnt too far of a hike off of Pima Rd (and that is if you cant drive
into it), I would think it would have more logs on it. It is a fond caching
memory of team Ropingthewind's. We enjoy the hiking/wilderness caches and
Bob Renner has lots of great caches of this type out there to enjoy! I drove
my 2x4 full size pickup from Dnamite road and started into the cache site.
But, the road got very bumpy (lots of whoop's for the motorcycle crowd) and
we turned back and decided to try to approach from Pima Rd. I have been in a
tad bit on a couple of those roads, so we were confident there was a way to
get in from the West. There was, but it was a bit ugly for a full size
longbed 2x4 truck. Of course, my truck isnt just any truck.... at least I
dont drive it like it is :).... (hehe). We went in on a decent little dirt
road that got progressively worse. Ended up on a fairly wide wash and kept
traction thru it (barely at times!) and we made it to the powerline rd. From
there, it was a decent drive to park within a few hundred feet or so (or
something like that) back into the cache site. A couple of the ATV dudes
looked at us like we were crazy. But, it isnt that bad for a good 2x4 truck
to make it back there. Shorter wheelbase the better, but any prudent driver
can take one back there.

Anyways, it was a fun adventure. Thanks Bob for the great cache! Glad to see
it is still around today!

Interesting how some of the old and great caches are still around after 2
and even 3 years and yet many new caches nowaday's cant last a week. Go
figure.

On a seperate note: made a great Christmas day cache hike to go find the
Cookie Cache in South Mountains. I had to go out and hike off that big
Christmas dinner we had with all the family. I teamed up with Team Rugerdog
for this one and we had a great late afternoon hike just before sunset to
find that cache. Felt good to make a good little hike like that after a big
dinner! :) I don't feel so fat now! :) :) :)

Anyways, Happy Holiday's everyone!!!

Scott
Team Ropingthewind

Have fun customizing MSN Messenger — learn how here!
http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/reach_customize