[Az-Geocaching] RE: It's THAT season

Brian Casteel listserv@azgeocaching.com
Wed, 3 Dec 2003 00:25:25 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C3B933.F23276D0

I agree.  It was well said.=20

Christmas the last few years has been tough.  After the downsizing in =
2001, money wasn't as free-flowing as it used to be, and the value of a =
dollar became all the more prominent in my mind.  We didn't focus on =
gifts much, or made the few we exchanged all the more special.  In fact, =
the holidays were more about tradition, a reality I didn't really have, =
because my parents just wanted to divy up the loot, get it opened, clean =
up and play with the new stuff.  My wife's family did much more.  The =
breakfast was a big deal, with champagne and orange juice, with a =
turnover for the main course.  Everyone was made to feel special, and =
the gifts were great, but reflected so much more.

When the in-laws moved away, we had to start our own traditions, and =
while it isn't the same, it's the beginning of our legacy.  Due to my =
job, I only get to have OJ on Christmas unless I am fortunate and have =
the day off.  But each year we've begun buying the kids each an ornament =
and look to further enlarge our winter electricity bill with the =
addition of some new lights.  There are other things we do now, but the =
point is really that our focus has become our family.  I'm finally out =
of that holiday mental slump, and I'm looking forward to a good =
Christmas.  Last year, I gave up my family traditions so my wife and =
kids could spend the holidays with all of her family in Montana (job =
kept me here).  While I understand and respect why she wanted to go, I'm =
not allowing it again.  Christmas alone sucks.

So whatever your situation, put your family first during the holidays.  =
Unlike everything else you can charge at Best Buy, Nordstrom or through =
GMAC finance, your family is not expendable.  If you lose one of them, =
it isn't as simple as going down to the store and picking up another.  =
It seems like so many things have been put in my path the last few weeks =
that the value of family is being pounded into my head with a =
sledgehammer.  The timing is more than coincidental.

If you don't have traditions, start.  If you practice them, keep doing =
so, or maybe start a few more.  There will come a day when you'll look =
back and relish, as well as miss those moments when you had the people =
who mean the most, around to enjoy them.

Brian
Team A.I.
  ----- Original Message -----=20