[Az-Geocaching] Travel Bug Update

Joe Brekke listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sat, 2 Aug 2003 22:37:04 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_00F2_01C35946.99BBA460

A few days ago when someone had asked the list whether they were wasting =
their money on Travel Bugs...I replied that one of our TB's that had =
over 17,000 had recently come up missing. =20

It was dropped off in the I-70 Palisades Cache (GCG2HA) around Grand =
Junction, CO on Jun 23rd.  I noticed that some people had visited the =
cache after that and had e-mailed one with 850 finds and asked if he had =
seen this Liberty Bell TB...he replied no, and that was around July 6th. =
Someone had picked up the TB and not logged it.=20

I was hopeful that the TB would show up someplace, and I got =
notification today that it did.  The person who found it logged it out =
of the cache in CO, but said that he had actually found it in Nebraska.  =
Looking at his logs, I believe he found it was a cache called Westbound =
(GCECBB), just outside of Lincoln, NE.  So someone, (don't know who), =
gave it an ~ 650 mile ride.  In the log, the finder said he saw the TB =
sitting outside the cache box.

Point is, I've learned not to give up on TB's.  This is the 3rd time =
this one has "disappeared"...only to turn up again.  And after logging =
over 17,000 miles, I'm glad that it will continue its travels.  I don't =
know why people take Travel Bugs and don't log them, then dump them =
somewhere and again not logging it.  Seems when they do this they are at =
least making a few Geocaching finds, and should be able to navigate =
enough to realize what TB's are and log them proplerly.  But for some =
reason it seems that some people don't log them.  In other recent TB =
subject matter that has also been discussed so I won't go into detail =
other than that it happens, and fairly often.

I didn't see any commonality in the teams that logged both caches.  I =
guess there are people out there who don't log their finds either.  =
That's ok with me, there's really nothing that says people have to log =
their finds on the site, and they shouldn't have to - plus I would say =
there's no way to police that anyway.  However, if that's the case, they =
really shouldn't be taking Travel Bugs, in my opinion anyway...the goal =
of a TB IS to be logged.  But, I'm glad whoever had taken our TB at =
least put it back into the game.

Joe
TeamBlunder

------=_NextPart_000_00F2_01C35946.99BBA460

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>A few days ago when someone had asked =
the list=20
whether they were wasting their money on Travel Bugs...I replied that =
one of our=20
TB's that had over 17,000 had recently come up missing.&nbsp; =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>It was dropped off in the I-70 =
Palisades Cache=20
(GCG2HA) around Grand Junction, CO&nbsp;on Jun 23rd.&nbsp; I noticed =
that some=20
people had visited the cache after that and had e-mailed one with 850 =
finds and=20
asked if he had seen this Liberty Bell TB...he replied no, and that was =
around=20
July 6th. Someone had picked up the TB and not logged it. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I was hopeful that the TB would show up =
someplace,=20
and I got notification today that it did.&nbsp; The person who found it =
logged=20
it out of the cache in CO, but said that he had actually found it in=20
Nebraska.&nbsp; Looking at his logs, I believe he found it was a cache =
called=20
Westbound (GCECBB), just outside of Lincoln, NE.&nbsp; So someone, =
(don't know=20
who), gave it an ~ 650 mile ride.&nbsp; In the log, the finder said he =
saw the=20
TB sitting outside the cache box.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Point is, I've learned not to give up =
on=20
TB's.&nbsp; This is the 3rd time this one has "disappeared"...only to =
turn up=20
again.&nbsp; And after logging over 17,000 miles, I'm glad that it will =
continue=20
its travels.&nbsp; I don't know why people take Travel Bugs and don't =
log them,=20
then dump them somewhere and again not logging it.&nbsp; Seems when they =
do this=20
they are at least making a few Geocaching finds, and should be able to =
navigate=20
enough to realize what TB's are and log them proplerly.&nbsp; But for =
some=20
reason it seems that some people don't log them.&nbsp; In other recent =
TB=20
subject matter that has also been discussed so I won't go into detail =
other than=20
that it happens, and fairly often.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I didn't see any commonality in the =
teams that=20
logged both caches.&nbsp; I guess there are people out there who don't =
log their=20
finds either.&nbsp; That's ok with me, there's really nothing that says =
people=20
have to log their finds on the site, and they shouldn't have to - plus I =
would=20
say there's no way to police that anyway.&nbsp;&nbsp;However, if that's =
the=20
case, they really shouldn't be taking Travel Bugs, in my opinion =
anyway...the=20
goal of a TB IS to be logged.&nbsp; But, I'm glad whoever had taken our =
TB at=20
least put it back into the game.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Joe</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>TeamBlunder</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00F2_01C35946.99BBA460--